Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What criteria should I look for when choosing a professional to repair my window air conditioner?
It will be a good idea to do your due diligence before selecting a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off service in Mountlake Terrace, WA, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many types of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and components. Always check that the professional you're considering has experience working with your specific brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper licensing to conduct repairs in Mountlake Terrace, WA and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner may have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Hiring a professional who provides guarantees on their work will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Normal business times aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your machine goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most proven contractors will show references from previous customers confirming their skills and professionalism. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the technician provides quality repairs and customer satisfaction.
How do you know when your window air conditioner needs repairs?
You shouldn't wait for the moment your window air conditioner breaks down to find repair services near Mountlake Terrace, WA. Inspect your machine for any of these common issues to know if calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner can last a decade, though regular repairs can increase the lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your appliance is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Sounds - It's normal for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or mildew smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it should be repaired. Wiring issues could result in a fire, and mold is a danger to indoor air quality.
- Higher Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner could be drawing more power than is usual when functioning correctly. Hire a professional to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than usual whenever the appliance runs.
How frequently should most window air conditioners need repairs?
Hopefully, you bought a highly-rated window air conditioner, which will survive around a decade before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are suggested once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and gives the longest life possible.
The ideal time to get your window air conditioner serviced in Mountlake Terrace, WA is in the spring before it sees heavy use in the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary over the winter. Besides repairs, an expert can safely open the unit if needed to clean its parts before further issues arise. Cleaning the interior of the unit is the only way to inhibit mold from accumulating which may jeopardize your air quality. Any dirt or debris that falls into the unit will also affect overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repair is generally affordable and helps to preserve your investment longer before buying a new one becomes absolutely necessary. You may even find discount prices if you contract a professional to provide scheduled repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Compare repair technicians on the Thumbtack platform to find one matching your budget and schedule.
Can I consider adding freon to my window air conditioner for more efficient cooling?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed coolant system that shouldn't need to be recharged with freon anytime throughout its lifespan. If it does ever need to be recharged, it usually means there is a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the problem is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for greasy spots on or underneath the unit accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a significant one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific model provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will diminish the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The machine has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it functions effectively.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the unit requires adequate airflow to operate. Ensure that nothing obstructs circulation, including plants or other materials, and remove them if so.
If you have zero experience carrying out these troubleshooting steps or feel overwhelmed doing them alone, consider hiring an expert to handle it all for you. A window air conditioner repair technician near Mountlake Terrace, WA can establish which one of these issues may be affecting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective unit, potentially saving you money if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Choose a Professional Suiting Your Budget and Schedule for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Mountlake Terrace, WA With Thumbtack
Reliable window air conditioner repair contractors in Mountlake Terrace, WA are standing by to be discovered on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable air conditioning system can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new model. With the high price you can expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair professionals, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service appointment as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units made to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These units are commonly used to cool individual rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and business environments. Much more affordable than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window unit can efficiently cool or heat a space any time of year. It's common for some parts to finally break down under constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever issues arise, an expert repair person will have the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair are licensed to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also possess the experience repairing the many complex parts inside these units and can even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Factors to look for when choosing a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, client reviews, service hours, and price. All this valuable information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.