Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Goose Creek, South Carolina
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is fixing my window air conditioner a necessary investment?
Putting in whole-home air conditioning will cost a lot of money around Goose Creek, SC and isn't a choice for those renting or with financial constraints. A cost-efficient alternative is window air conditioning units, but even these will cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new units will be more costly than repairs, making it a smart choice in many circumstances.
Choosing to repair current window air conditioners rather than replacing them may be based on your long-term plans. If you are planning to put a whole-home HVAC system in your residence, maintaining existing window units might be a necessary short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over whole-home systems, including energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Evaluate your needs and goals and compare them to the cost of repairs offered by technicians on Thumbtack to decide if they will be worthwhile.
What are the most important considerations when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be best to do your research before choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time service around Goose Creek, SC, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several makes and models of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and features. Always make sure the contractor you're vetting has knowledge of your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper licenses to conduct repairs in Goose Creek, SC and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the cost of the service. Hiring a contractor that provides guarantees on their work will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Routine business hours aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your house. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in the event your unit goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most reliable contractors will have references from past customers confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the technician provides quality work and customer satisfaction.
How do you know when your window air conditioner needs repairs?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner breaks down to look for repair services in Goose Creek, SC. Inspect your unit for any of these common issues to decide whether calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner will last ten years, though scheduled repairs can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your appliance is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming noises as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates could be a sign it needs to be repaired. Wiring issues could result in a fire, and mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a detriment to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be using more power than is normal when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever the unit runs.
Regarding repair costs, which part on a window air conditioner is typically the priciest?
The costliest part to repair on a window air conditioner will vary based on the particular model of the machine and the nature of the problem. A few of the most expensive parts to repair or replace as reported by residents around Goose Creek, SC are:
- Compressor - The compressor is a vital component that helps circulate refrigerant and increases its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, found on the outer part of the machine, expels heat built up by the evaporator coil to complete the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: This board is responsible for controlling many functions of the unit, such as the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - The fan motor is typically integrated with several complex parts of the machine to help with functions such as heat exchange, circulation, condensing, and evaporation.
- Refrigerant Leak Repair - If there's a refrigerant leak, the cost of repairing it and a recharge can be significant. Additionally, refrigerants are regulated chemicals needing specialized certification and gear to work with.
It's worth noting that the decision to repair or replace a window air conditioner will be based on things like the age of the machine, the scope of the damage, and price. If your window air conditioner is not beyond its recommended service life, investing in any of these repairs is more cost-efficient than purchasing a new one.
Discover an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Goose Creek, SC on Thumbtack
Experienced window air conditioner repair contractors around Goose Creek, SC are standing by to be discovered on Thumbtack. Repairing your transportable HVAC unit will be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair professionals, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units designed to be placed in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These appliances are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and business environments. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window system will efficiently cool or heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some components to finally fail from constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues arise, an expert repair professional will have the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors offering HVAC repair are licensed to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also possess the experience repairing the many complex parts inside these units and will even clean them to stretch their service life. Things to consider when choosing a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, business hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can conveniently and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.