Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Blacksburg, South Carolina
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is it necessary to recharge the freon in window air conditioners?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon anytime during its service life. If it does ever need to be recharged, it usually is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repair work. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you know if the issue is related to low freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or underneath the appliance accompanied with a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the event of a leak, but a major one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will diminish the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The appliance has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be cleaned to ensure it operates efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner requires adequate airflow to work. Ensure that nothing obstructs airflow, including vegetation or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience performing these troubleshooting steps or are uncomfortable doing them alone, consider hiring an expert to handle it all for you. A window air conditioner repair expert in Blacksburg, SC can pinpoint if one of these issues is impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty appliance, potentially getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Does it make economical sense to invest in repairs for my window air conditioner?
Putting in central air will cost a lot of money in Blacksburg, SC and isn't an option for those renting or with financial constraints. A cost-efficient alternative is window air conditioning units, but even these generally cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these units will be more expensive than repairs, making it a smart choice in many circumstances.
Opting to fix existing window air conditioners rather than replacing them could come down to your long-term plans. If you are planning to install a whole-home HVAC system in your house, repairing existing window units might be a necessary short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, portability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling and heating alongside central air. Evaluate your requirements and goals and weigh them against the price of repair services offered by contractors on Thumbtack to decide if they will be acceptable.
What considerations should I focus on when hiring a contractor to fix my window air conditioner?
It will be a wise idea to do your due diligence when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time repair in Blacksburg, SC, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of makes and models of window air conditioners on the market, and some have a variety of systems and components. Always make sure the contractor you're considering has knowledge of your specific brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Blacksburg, SC and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner may have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the price of the service. Hiring a contractor that provides warranties on their labor will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Standard business hours aren't always ideal for effectively cooling and heating your residence. You may find window air conditioner repair professionals who provide on-call services in case your appliance fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most reliable repair professionals will have references from previous clients vouching for their skills and services. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how efficiently the contractor delivers quality repairs and customer service.
How do you know when your window air conditioner is in need of repairs?
You shouldn't wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to look for repair services in Blacksburg, SC. Evaluate your appliance for any of these common issues to decide if calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner will last ten years, though regular maintenance can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding noises are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it should be repaired. Wiring issues could result in a fire, while mold is a danger to indoor air quality.
- Increased Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner could be using more electricity than is usual when functioning correctly. Turn to a professional to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever your appliance runs.
Keep Up Your Window Air Conditioner By Choosing Repair Contractors on Thumbtack
Dependable window air conditioner repair contractors in Blacksburg, SC are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC system will be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than buying a new model. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be installed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These units are commonly used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and business environments. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window system will effectively cool and heat a space any time of year. It's common for some components to eventually fail under heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever issues come up, an expert repair person has the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair are licensed to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in self-contained cooling systems. A professional will also have experience repairing the many intricate components within these units and will even clean them to stretch their service life. Factors to consider when selecting a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can conveniently and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.