Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Lewiston, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Window Air Conditioner Repair Professionals nearWindow Air Conditioner Repair // Maine // Lewiston
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What are some important considerations when deciding on a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be best to do your research when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off service near Lewiston, ME, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many kinds of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with different systems and components. Always make sure the contractor you're vetting has knowledge of your particular brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Lewiston, ME and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Picking a contractor that offers guarantees on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Service Schedule - Routine business times aren't always convenient for effectively cooling and heating your house. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who offer on-call services in the event your appliance fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most established repair professionals will have references from past clients confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to get a sense for how efficiently the technician delivers quality repairs and customer service.
What is the most common problem on window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to look for repair services in Lewiston, ME. Troubleshoot your appliance for any of these common problems to know if calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner will last ten years, though regular repairs can stretch its lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring a contractor to conduct preventive maintenance if your unit is near its prime, particularly if you notice any performance problems.
- Strange Sounds - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it powers on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs means it should be repaired. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, and mold is a detriment to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner could be drawing more electricity than is necessary when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever your unit runs.
How frequently do most window air conditioners need to be fixed?
Hopefully, you purchased a highly-rated window air conditioner, which should survive about ten years before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are recommended once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and gives the longest life possible.
The perfect time to get your window air conditioner serviced in Lewiston, ME is in the spring before you need it to operate over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary for the winter. Other than repairs, a technician can safely open the unit if necessary to clean its components before more issues arise. Cleaning the inside of the unit is the only way to stop mold from accumulating which might affect your health. Any dirt and debris that accumulates in the unit will also hurt its performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and enables you to preserve your investment longer until buying a new one becomes absolutely necessary. You may even find discount rates if you hire a professional to provide regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Vet repair technicians on the Thumbtack app to find one who matches your budget and needs.
Do window air conditioners require a freon recharge to provide optimal performance?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon at all throughout its lifespan. If it did need to be recharged, it typically means there is a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you know if the problem is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for grease spots on or beneath the unit accompanied by a musty or sweet smell. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a major one might provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your appliance has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it operates correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the appliance requires enough airflow to work. Check that nothing obstructs circulation, such as vegetation or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience performing these troubleshooting steps or feel uncomfortable doing them alone, consider hiring a contractor to do the job for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor in Lewiston, ME can pinpoint which one of these problems is impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty unit, possibly getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Enlist an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Lewiston, ME With Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors near Lewiston, ME are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC system can be cost-effective if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new model. With the high price you can expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling appliances made to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These units are often used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial settings. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window air conditioner can effectively cool and heat a space any time of year. It's common for some components to eventually fail from constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as problems come up, an expert repair person will have the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair are licensed to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also have experience repairing the many complex parts inside these units and can even clean them to stretch their lifespan. Factors to consider when selecting a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, service hours, and price. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack to help you conveniently and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.