Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Houlton, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Window Air Conditioner Repair Professionals nearWindow Air Conditioner Repair // Maine // Houlton
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Should I consider adding freon in my window air conditioner for better cooling?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need to be recharged with freon at all throughout its service life. If it did need recharging, it usually is a sign of a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you understand if the problem is related to low freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or underneath the machine accompanied with a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually imperceptible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a significant one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific model provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it functions correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner needs adequate airflow to function correctly. Ensure that nothing obstructs circulation, such as shrubs or furniture, and remove them if so.
If you have little experience conducting these troubleshooting measures or feel uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring a contractor to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor in Houlton, Maine can determine which one of these issues may be affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty machine, potentially saving you money if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Are the costs of repairing a window air conditioner worthwhile?
Putting in central air will cost thousands of dollars in Houlton, Maine and isn't an option for those renting or with a tight budget. A cost-efficient alternative are window air conditioning units, but even these typically cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these units will be more expensive than routine maintenance, making it a smart investment in many circumstances.
Choosing to repair your window air conditioners versus replacing them could be based on your long-term goals. If you plan to put central air in your house, repairing curent window units could be a necessary short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, portability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Evaluate your requirements and goals and compare them to the price of repairs offered by contractors on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be acceptable.
What are some important aspects to evaluate when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be a smart idea to do your due diligence before picking a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're searching for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time repair in Houlton, Maine, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many makes and models of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and features. Always ensure the contractor you're considering has knowledge of your particular brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper licenses to do repairs in Houlton, Maine and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner might have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the price of repairs. Hiring a contractor who provides guarantees on their labor will bring you added peace of mind.
- Service Schedule - Routine business times aren't always best for effectively cooling and heating your house. You may find window air conditioner repair contractors who offer on-call services in the event your appliance goes down over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most proven repair professionals will show references from previous clients confirming their skills and professionalism. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the contractor delivers quality repairs and customer service.
What issue is usually the most frequent in window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait until your window air conditioner breaks down to look for repair services in Houlton, Maine. Assess your appliance for any of these common issues to decide whether calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner should last ten years, though regular maintenance can stretch its service life to 15 years. Consider employing a contractor to conduct preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is near its prime, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or mildew smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it needs to be repaired. Wiring problems could result in a fire, while mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner could be using more power than is normal when functioning properly. Hire a contractor to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever the unit runs.
Enlist a Pro Matching Your Budget and Schedule for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Houlton, Maine With Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors in Houlton, Maine are waiting to be found on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC system can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units made to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These units are often used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and business applications. Much less expensive than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window unit can effectively cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some components to finally break down under constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues come up, an expert repair person will have the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors providing AC repair are certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also possess the experience working with the many complex parts inside these units and can even clean them to prolong its service life. Things to look for when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to help you easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.