Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Augusta, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Window Air Conditioner Repair Professionals nearWindow Air Conditioner Repair // Maine // Augusta
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do window air conditioners have to be replenished with freon?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that doesn't need to be recharged with freon at all during its service life. If it did need to be recharged, it usually means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the job. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the issue is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for greasy spots on or beneath the machine accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually invisible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a big one might result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will lower the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your unit contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be cleaned to ensure it operates efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the machine requires adequate airflow to operate. Make sure that nothing obstructs circulation, such as vegetation or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have little experience carrying out these troubleshooting measures or are overwhelmed doing them alone, consider enlisting a professional to do the job for you. A window air conditioner repair professional in Augusta, Maine will be able to determine if one of these issues is affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a defective machine, possibly saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Does it make financial sense to invest in repairing a window air conditioner?
Putting in central air will cost a lot of money in Augusta, Maine and isn't a choice for those renting or with financial constraints. A cost-effective alternative are window air conditioning machines, but even these usually cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these machines will be more expensive than routine maintenance, making it a smart investment in the long run.
Opting to repair current window air conditioners versus replacing them may come down to your long-term goals. If you plan to install central air in your house, maintaining existing window units could be a necessary short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling and heating with central air. Consider your needs and goals and weigh them against the cost of repair services offered by contractors on Thumbtack to decide if they will be acceptable.
What factors should I focus on when picking a professional to repair my window air conditioner?
It will be best to do your due diligence before choosing a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Regardless if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-time service near Augusta, Maine, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many makes and models of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with different systems and features. Always make sure the professional you're vetting has knowledge of your specific brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper licensing to conduct repairs in Augusta, Maine and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner might have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the cost of repairs. Choosing a professional who provides guarantees on their labor will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Routine business hours aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your unit fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most dependable contractors will provide references from previous customers vouching for their skills and professionalism. Check for online reviews to understand how efficiently the contractor delivers quality work and customer service.
What problem is typically the most frequent in window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait until your window air conditioner goes out to find repair services in Augusta, Maine. Assess your unit for any of these common issues to decide if calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner will last ten years, though scheduled maintenance can stretch its service life to 15 years. Consider employing a professional to conduct preventive maintenance if your appliance is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or mildew smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it operates could be a sign it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, and mold is a detriment to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner may be using more electricity than is necessary when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever the unit runs.
Choose an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Augusta, Maine With Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors near Augusta, Maine are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC system will be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These machines are often used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and business environments. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window air conditioner will efficiently cool and heat a space any time of year. It's common for some components to finally break down from constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
Regardless if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues arise, an expert repair professional has the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair will be certified to work with regulated substances like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also have experience repairing the many complex components within these units and will even clean them to stretch its service life. Factors to look for when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, client reviews, business hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can effortlessly and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.