Find a HVAC Profesional in Northampton, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The style of roof that's the most budget friendly is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the cheaper product, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In fact, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are reliable and do a great job of protecting your property while being the affordable option. Plus, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any home.
However, asphalt shingles do need to be replaced more often than the more pricier products. They usually have a 15-20 year lifespan. But you can always get top-quality asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof needs to be an option when repairs won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re putting up with these types of issues:
- AGE: If your roof has aged, the probability of it needing to be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are a regular choice for residential properties and these usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. If your roof is around this age, it’s a wise idea to get regular inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a clue that the deck plywood is rotted. Sagging is not a good sign, and this does mean you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof defends your entire property, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will get worn out over time.
What time of year is best to replace a roof?
Despite what time of year it is, you can get a roof replacement. However, fall is the most common time of year for a roof replacement. But because it is a great time for these services, it can be a challenge to book time with a professional. This means that waiting later in the year could be a more convenient time to schedule.
A lot of professionals who specialize in roofing have more down time during the colder months, but you could be putting up with more erratic weather. Summer is kind of like winter, but instead of being cold, you’d be putting up with hot temperatures.
Spring can also be good for roof replacements. While there's a chance it can still be wet and rather uncertain, it’s getting warmer, and any roofing damage you’ve had during the winter will be uncovered.
Why is a good roof important?
The reason why a stable roof is so essential is because it protects your property, enhances your home’s curb appeal, and makes your energy efficiency better.
The roof is the protective barrier for your entire house. It blocks out wind, rain, hail, snow, falling debris, and more. So if your roof is in poor condition, your home could develop some leaks, and this can cause other issues.
Your roof also does a lot for your property value. Since it’s such a fundamental component of your property, a roof in good condition illustrates a reliable property. If you were looking to sell, a buyer would be much more excited about your property if it has a strong, steady roof protecting it.
Lastly, having an energy efficient house makes anyone happy. It means your utility bills aren't expensive and that your house keeps a comfortable temperature.
Roofing Replacement & Roofing Repair Companies in Northampton, MA
You can look to Thumbtack to make your search for roofing maintenance services easy in Northampton, MA. Our user-friendly app is easy to navigate, which means you can search through dozens of profiles and come up with some options. We help with the hiring process by providing you access to ratings, pricing, experience, and more. Start your search for a roofing maintenance contractor on the app and find the right professional for your project.
Our app also collects a wealth of information to help you before you start browsing through our network of licensed roofing contractors.
Routine appointments can help you stay on top of any wear-and-tear before it gets worse and allows you to extend the life of your roof. So, how can you tell when you need a professional, roofing maintenance company to come out to your home? You may realize there are certain things to look out for, including:
- Age: Your roof has a lifespan of about 20-25 years, so if you think your roof has been around for longer, it might be time to contact a roofing contractor to come check it out.
- Sagging Roof Decks: Call a contractor immediately if you realize your roof deck is sagging since it can lead to serious issues. Roofing repairs done by a professional will resolve the problem and prevent the need for replacement services.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: Excessive granules from shingles collect in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a good sign. A roofing maintenance company will clean your gutters while checking up on your shingles.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is the material used to protect joints and stop water. Contact a roofing maintenance contractor to fix broken, loose, or missing flashing to prevent water leaks.
- Shingles: Having your shingles inspected will let you know if replacing them is necessary. If you see that some of them are discolored, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't sustain more damages.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you a convenient solution to find the best contractors to address your roofing needs. No matter if you’re looking for a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your part of the process is made easier with our platform.