Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Newtonville, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do window air conditioners have to be replenished with refrigerant?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon anytime throughout its lifespan. If it does ever need recharging, it typically means there is a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to handle the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you know if the malfunction is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or underneath the appliance and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is often imperceptible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a significant one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be cleaned to ensure it operates correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the appliance requires enough airflow to operate. Check that nothing is obstructing the airflow, such as plants or furniture, and remove them if so.
If you have zero experience performing these troubleshooting tasks or are uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring an expert to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair technician near Newtonville, Massachusetts will be able to pinpoint which one of these issues may be impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective appliance, possibly saving you money if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Is repairing my window air conditioning unit a worthwhile investment?
Installing central air will cost thousands of dollars around Newtonville, Massachusetts and isn't an option for those renting or with a tight budget. The most cost-efficient substitute is window air conditioning units, but even these can cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new units will be more costly than repairs, making it a smart investment in many circumstances.
Choosing to repair current window air conditioners rather than replacing them may be based on your long-term plans. If you plan to install a whole-home HVAC system in your house, maintaining existing window units might be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have benefits over other HVAC systems, such as increased energy efficiency, portability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling and heating alongside central air. Consider your needs and goals and weigh them against the cost of repairs offered by pros on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be worthwhile.
How can I choose the most suitable contractor for repairing my window air conditioner?
It will be a good idea to do your due diligence when selecting a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're looking for routine maintenance or a one-off service in Newtonville, Massachusetts, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of makes and models of window air conditioners on the market, and some have a variety of systems and features. Always check that the professional you're considering has experience working with your specific make and model before hiring.
- Certification - You should verify that the technician has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Newtonville, Massachusetts and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of the service. Picking a professional that offers guarantees on their labor will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Routine business hours aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your home. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who offer on-call services in the event your appliance goes down over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most proven contractors will show references from past clients confirming their skills and professionalism. Look at their online reviews to get a sense for how efficiently the technician delivers quality work and customer service.
What is the most frequent issue in window air conditioning units?
You don't have to wait until your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services near Newtonville, Massachusetts. Inspect your appliance for any of these common issues to decide whether calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner will last ten years, though scheduled maintenance can stretch its lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring a professional to conduct preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is near its prime, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold is a detriment to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner could be using more electricity than is usual when functioning properly. Turn to an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever your unit runs.
Preserve Your Window Air Conditioner By Hiring Repair Contractors on Thumbtack
Reliable window air conditioner repair contractors in Newtonville, Massachusetts are standing by to be hired on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable air conditioning unit can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than buying a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be installed in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These machines are often used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and commercial settings. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window system can efficiently cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some parts to finally fail from heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever issues arise, an expert repair professional has the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like refrigerant used in self-contained cooling systems. A contractor will also have experience working with the many complex parts within these units and can even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Things to consider when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, business hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.