Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Dedham, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What are the most important aspects to evaluate when deciding on a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be a good idea to do your research when selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. No matter if you're looking for routine maintenance or a one-time service near Dedham, MA, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several makes and models of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and features. Always make sure the contractor you're considering has knowledge of your particular brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Dedham, MA and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner may be under warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the price of the service. Picking a contractor who provides guarantees on their labor will bring you added peace of mind.
- Service Schedule - Standard business hours aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your house. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your machine fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most reliable repair professionals will show references from past customers confirming their skills and professionalism. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the technician provides quality work and customer satisfaction.
What is the most common issue in window air conditioning units?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services in Dedham, MA. Troubleshoot your machine for any of these common problems to decide whether calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner will last a decade, though scheduled repairs can increase its lifespan to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding noises are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, while mold is a danger to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner could be drawing more power than is necessary when functioning correctly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever the unit runs.
How often do most window air conditioners need repairs?
Hopefully, you bought a top-rated window air conditioner, which should last about a decade before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are ideally performed once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and gives the longest life possible.
The best time to have your window air conditioner repaired in Dedham, MA is during the spring before you need it to operate in the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary over the winter. Other than repairs, a contractor can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its components before further issues arise. Cleaning the inside of the machine is the only way to stop mold from growing that might affect your health. Any dirt and debris that falls into the unit could also diminish overall performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and enables you to stretch your investment longer until buying a new unit becomes absolutely necessary. You might be able to get discount rates if you contract a professional to provide regular repair and cleaning services on an annual basis. Compare repair experts on the Thumbtack app and find one matching your budget and schedule.
Do window air conditioners need to be recharged with freon?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon anytime during its lifespan. If it does ever need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the problem is related to low freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or underneath the machine accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a significant one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific model provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will lower the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The machine contains evaporator or condenser coils that also should be cleaned to ensure it functions efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner needs proper airflow to work. Ensure that nothing is obstructing the airflow, such as plants or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have little experience performing these troubleshooting tasks or feel uncomfortable doing them alone, consider enlisting a professional to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor in Dedham, MA will be able to determine which one of these problems may be impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty machine, potentially getting you a refund if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Find a Pro Matching Your Budget and Needs for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Dedham, MA on Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors near Dedham, MA are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC unit will be cost-effective if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new model. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units made to be installed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These appliances are often used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and commercial settings. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window system will effectively cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some components to finally fail from heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever problems arise, an expert repair professional will have the tools and training to do the job quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also have experience working with the many complex parts inside these units and will even clean them to stretch its lifespan. Things to look for when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, service hours, and price. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.