Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Canton, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Should I be concerned about the refrigerant levels in my window air conditioner and consider getting a recharge?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that doesn't need recharging with freon anytime throughout its lifespan. If it did need to be recharged, it usually is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to handle the repairs. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you understand if the issue is related to depleted freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or beneath the machine and a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a significant one might provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The unit has evaporator or condenser coils that also should be cleaned to ensure it functions correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the appliance needs proper airflow to function correctly. Make sure that nothing is obstructing the circulation, like plants or other materials, and remove them if so.
If you have zero experience carrying out these troubleshooting tasks or are overwhelmed doing them yourself, consider enlisting an expert to handle it all for you. A window air conditioner repair expert in Canton, MA will be able to pinpoint if one of these issues is impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective machine, potentially saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Is it worth fixing a window air conditioner?
Putting in whole-home air conditioning will cost thousands of dollars around Canton, MA and isn't a choice for those renting or with a tight budget. A cost-efficient substitute are window air conditioning machines, but even these will cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these units will be more expensive than repairs, making it a worthwhile choice in many circumstances.
Choosing to repair current window air conditioners rather than replacing them could be based on your long-term goals. If you are planning to install central air in your property, repairing curent window units could be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over whole-home systems, such as increased energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Assess your needs and goals and compare them to the price of repair services offered by pros on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be worthwhile.
How do I pick a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be best to do your due diligence when choosing a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're looking for routine maintenance or a one-time repair around Canton, MA, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many kinds of window air conditioners available, and some have a variety of systems and components. Always check that the professional you're vetting has experience working with your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Canton, MA and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance could have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Choosing a professional who offers guarantees on their labor will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Normal business times aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair professionals who offer on-call services in the event your unit fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most dependable repair professionals will show references from previous customers confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the contractor delivers quality repairs and customer satisfaction.
What issue is commonly reported with window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services in Canton, MA. Troubleshoot your unit for any of these common issues to decide if calling in a pro is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner can last a decade, though regular maintenance can stretch its lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring a professional to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is near its prime, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding noises are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it needs to be repaired. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold is a detriment to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be using more electricity than is usual when functioning correctly. Hire a contractor to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than usual whenever your unit runs.
Hire a Professional for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Canton, MA With Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors around Canton, MA are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC system can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than buying a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units made to be placed in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These appliances are often used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and business settings. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window system can effectively cool and heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some components to eventually fail under heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues arise, an expert repair professional will have the tools and training to do the job quickly. Contractors offering AC repair will be licensed to work with regulated chemicals like refrigerant used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also possess the experience working with the many complex components inside these units and can even clean them to prolong its lifespan. Things to consider when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you effortlessly and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.