Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Auburn, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What considerations should I focus on when picking a professional to fix my window air conditioner?
It will be best to do your research when picking a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the most for your money. No matter if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-time repair in Auburn, Massachusetts, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several types of window air conditioners available, and some function with a variety of systems and features. Always check that the professional you're considering has experience working with your particular brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Auburn, Massachusetts and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner could be under warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of the service. Picking a professional who provides guarantees on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Routine business times aren't always ideal when it comes to cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who offer on-call services in the event your machine goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most established repair professionals will show references from past clients confirming their skills and services. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how efficiently the contractor provides quality work and customer satisfaction.
What problem is usually the most frequent in window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner goes out to look for repair services in Auburn, Massachusetts. Assess your machine for any of these common issues to decide if calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner should last ten years, though scheduled maintenance can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your appliance is nearing its prime, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding noises are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or moldy smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it operates could be a sign it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, and mold is a detriment to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner might be drawing more electricity than is normal when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than usual whenever your unit runs.
What is the typical repair interval for most window air conditioning units?
Hopefully, you bought a quality window air conditioning unit, which will survive about ten years before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, preventive maintenance and repairs are recommended once or twice a year to keep it operating efficiently and gives the longest life possible.
The best time to get your window air conditioner serviced in Auburn, Massachusetts is during the spring before you need it to operate over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary for the winter. Other than repairs, a professional can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its components before more issues pop up. Cleaning the interior of the machine is the only way to stop mold from growing which could jeopardize your health. Any dirt or debris that falls into the unit will also diminish overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repairs are generally affordable and helps to preserve your investment as long as possible until buying a new one is absolutely necessary. You might even get discount prices if you contract a professional for scheduled repair and cleaning services on an annual basis. Vet repair specialists on the Thumbtack app and find one matching your budget and needs.
Should I be concerned about the freon levels in my window air conditioner and get a recharge?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon anytime during its service life. If it did need to be recharged, it usually is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting tips to help you know if the issue is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for grease spots on or underneath the machine and a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a significant one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will diminish the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your machine contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be cleaned to ensure it operates properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the unit needs enough airflow to work. Ensure that nothing obstructs circulation, such as vegetation or furniture, and remove them if so.
If you have little experience performing these troubleshooting measures or are uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair expert in Auburn, Massachusetts can pinpoint if one of these issues may be impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a defective machine, possibly getting you a refund if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Maintain Your Window Air Conditioner By Choosing Repair Professionals on Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors in Auburn, Massachusetts are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC unit can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair professionals, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units made to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in a wall. These appliances are commonly used to cool individual rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and commercial settings. Much less expensive than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window system can effectively cool or heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some components to finally fail from heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
No matter if you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues arise, an expert repair professional will have the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors offering AC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. An expert will also possess the experience working with the many complex parts inside these units and can even clean them to stretch their service life. Factors to consider when choosing a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, client reviews, service hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most critical systems.