Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Lafayette, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What are some important aspects to evaluate when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be a wise idea to do your research when selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Regardless if you're looking for routine maintenance or a one-off repair in Lafayette, Louisiana, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many types of window air conditioners on the market, and some have different systems and components. Always ensure the contractor you're considering has knowledge of your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Lafayette, Louisiana and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner may have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the price of repairs. Picking a contractor who provides guarantees on their work will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Routine business hours aren't always best for effectively cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair contractors who provide on-call services in the event your unit fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most established contractors will provide references from previous customers confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the contractor delivers quality work and customer satisfaction.
What are indications that I could need window air conditioner repair?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services near Lafayette, Louisiana. Troubleshoot your unit for any of these common issues to know whether calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner should last ten years, though scheduled repairs can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your unit is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming noises as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding noises are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or musty smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it should be repaired. Wiring problems are a fire hazard, while mold is a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner might be using more electricity than is necessary when functioning correctly. Hire a professional to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than expected whenever the appliance runs.
How frequently will most window air conditioners need to be repaired?
Hopefully, you bought a quality window air conditioning unit, which will last around ten years before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are ideally performed once or twice a year to ensure it operates correctly and delivers the most extended life possible.
The best time to have your window air conditioner repaired in Lafayette, Louisiana is in the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary for the winter. Other than repairs, a technician can safely open the unit if needed to clean its parts before more issues pop up. Cleaning the interior of the appliance is the only way to stop mold from accumulating that could affect your air quality. Any dirt and debris that falls into the unit will also affect overall performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repairs are generally affordable and enables you to stretch your investment longer until buying a new one is absolutely necessary. You might be able to get discount rates if you contract a professional for regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Vet repair experts on the Thumbtack platform to find one who matches your budget and schedule.
Should I be worried about the refrigerant levels in my window air conditioner and get it replinished?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that doesn't need recharging with freon anytime during its service life. If it did need recharging, it usually is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you know if the issue is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or beneath the appliance accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often imperceptible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a big one might leave a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will impact the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The unit has evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be cleaned to ensure it operates effectively.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the machine needs enough airflow to operate. Check that nothing is blocking the circulation, such as vegetation or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience carrying out these troubleshooting steps or feel uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring an expert to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor near Lafayette, Louisiana will be able to determine which one of these issues may be impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty appliance, possibly getting you a refund if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Discover an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Lafayette, Louisiana on Thumbtack
Dependable window air conditioner repair contractors in Lafayette, Louisiana are standing by to be hired on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC system can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines designed to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in a wall. These appliances are commonly used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and business environments. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window unit can effectively cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some parts to eventually fail under heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
Regardless if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues come up, an expert repair professional will have the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors providing AC repair are certified to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also have experience repairing the many intricate components within these units and can even clean them to stretch its service life. Things to look for when choosing a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, service hours, and price. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to help you easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.