Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Abbeville, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What features should I look for when selecting a professional to fix my window air conditioner?
It would be best to do your research before picking a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're searching for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time repair around Abbeville, LA, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many makes and models of window air conditioners available, and some have different systems and features. Always ensure the professional you're vetting has knowledge of your specific brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper licensing to do repairs in Abbeville, LA and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of the service. Hiring a professional that provides warranties on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Service Schedule - Routine business times aren't always ideal when it comes to cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair professionals who provide on-call services in the event your appliance goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most dependable contractors will show references from previous clients confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the contractor delivers quality work and customer satisfaction.
What problem is typically the most common with window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner goes out to look for repair services near Abbeville, LA. Evaluate your appliance for any of these common problems to know if calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner will last a decade, though regular maintenance can increase its service life to 15 years. Consider hiring a professional to conduct preventive maintenance if your unit is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance problems.
- Strange Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it powers on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding noises are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or mildew smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it operates could be a sign it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring problems are a fire hazard, while mold may be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner may be using more electricity than is normal when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever the unit runs.
How frequently should I anticipate the need for repairs with a typical window air conditioner?
Hopefully, you purchased a quality window air conditioner, which should last about a decade before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, preventive maintenance and repairs are recommended once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and gives the most extended life possible.
The perfect time to get your window air conditioner looked at in Abbeville, LA is during the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary for the winter. Besides repairs, a professional can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its parts before further issues arise. Cleaning the inside of the machine is the only way to prevent mold from growing that might affect your air quality. Any dirt or debris that accumulates in the unit will also diminish its performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repairs are relatively affordable and enables you to stretch your investment longer until buying a new unit is absolutely necessary. You might be able to get discount prices if you contract a professional for scheduled repair and cleaning services on an annual basis. Vet repair specialists on the Thumbtack app to find one who matches your budget and schedule.
Is it normal to recharge the refrigerant in window air conditioners?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed coolant system that won't need recharging with freon anytime during its service life. If it does ever need to be recharged, it typically is a sign of a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repair work. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the malfunction is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or beneath the machine accompanied by a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a big one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your appliance has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it operates correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner requires adequate airflow to operate. Check that nothing obstructs circulation, like plants or furniture, and remove them if so.
If you have no experience performing these troubleshooting steps or feel uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider enlisting a professional to handle it all for you. A window air conditioner repair professional near Abbeville, LA can establish which one of these problems may be affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty machine, potentially getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Preserve Your Window Air Conditioner With Repair Technicians on Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors around Abbeville, LA are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable air conditioning system can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units designed to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These units are commonly used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and business applications. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window unit can effectively cool or heat a room any time of year. It's common for some parts to eventually break down under constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when problems come up, an expert repair person will have the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors providing AC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also possess the experience repairing the many intricate parts within these units and can even clean them to stretch their service life. Things to look for when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. All this valuable information and more can be found on Thumbtack to help you easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.