Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Hinsdale, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Can I consider adding freon to my window air conditioner for better cooling?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need recharging with freon at all throughout its lifespan. If it did need to be recharged, it usually means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to handle the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the problem is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the machine accompanied with a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually imperceptible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a significant one might provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your machine has evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be kept clean to ensure it operates efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the appliance needs adequate airflow to operate. Ensure that nothing is blocking the airflow, including plants or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have zero experience carrying out these troubleshooting steps or are uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring a contractor to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair technician in Hinsdale, IL will be able to determine if one of these problems may be affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty machine, potentially getting you a refund if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Are the benefits of fixing my window air conditioner worth the associated costs?
Installing central air will cost a lot of money in Hinsdale, IL and isn't a choice for anyone renting or with financial constraints. The most cost-effective alternative are window air conditioning machines, but even these usually cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these units will be more expensive than routine maintenance, making it a smart investment in the long run.
Opting to repair your window air conditioners rather than replacing them could be based on your long-term plans. If you are planning to put central air in your house, maintaining curent window units might be a necessary short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have benefits over whole-home systems, such as increased energy efficiency, portability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling and heating with central air. Evaluate your needs and goals and weigh them against the cost of repair services offered by pros on Thumbtack to decide if they will be acceptable.
What criteria should I look for when choosing a contractor to repair my window air conditioner?
It would be a wise idea to do your research when selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-off service around Hinsdale, IL, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several kinds of window air conditioners on the market, and some have a variety of systems and components. Always check that the contractor you're considering has experience working with your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper licensing to conduct repairs in Hinsdale, IL and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner may have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of repairs. Hiring a contractor who offers guarantees on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Routine business times aren't always best when it comes to cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who offer on-call services in case your machine fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most reliable repair professionals will provide references from past customers confirming their skills and professionalism. Look at their online reviews to understand how effectively the contractor delivers quality work and customer service.
What is the most frequent issue in window air conditioning units?
You don't have to wait until your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services in Hinsdale, IL. Inspect your machine for any of these common problems to know whether calling in a contractor is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner can last a decade, though scheduled repairs can stretch its lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring a contractor to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is near its prime, particularly if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding noises are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or mildew smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, and mold might be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner might be drawing more power than is normal when functioning correctly. Turn to a contractor to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever the appliance runs.
Choose an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Hinsdale, IL on Thumbtack
Experienced window air conditioner repair contractors around Hinsdale, IL are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC system will be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines made to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These units are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial settings. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window system will effectively cool and heat a space any time of year. It's common for some parts to eventually break down under heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a contractor to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when problems come up, an expert repair professional has the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair are certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also have experience working with the many complex components within these units and will even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Factors to look for when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, client reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.