Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Harvey, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Window Air Conditioner Repair Professionals nearWindow Air Conditioner Repair // Illinois // Harvey
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What features should I look for when hiring a contractor to fix my window air conditioner?
It will be a smart idea to do your research when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-off service near Harvey, IL, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many kinds of window air conditioners available, and some function with a variety of systems and features. Always make sure the contractor you're considering has knowledge of your particular brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper licenses to conduct repairs in Harvey, IL and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of repairs. Choosing a contractor that provides warranties on their work will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Standard business times aren't always ideal for effectively cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in the event your unit goes down over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most dependable repair professionals will provide references from past clients vouching for their skills and professionalism. Check for online reviews to understand how efficiently the technician delivers quality work and customer service.
What is the most persistent problem in window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner breaks down to find repair services in Harvey, IL. Evaluate your unit for any of these common issues to decide if calling in a pro is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner can last a decade, though regular repairs can stretch its lifespan to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or mildew smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be repaired. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be drawing more power than is usual when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever your unit runs.
On average, how often do window air conditioners require repair work?
Hopefully, you purchased a top-rated window air conditioning unit, which will last about a decade before you need a new one. In the meantime, preventive maintenance and repairs are suggested once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and delivers the most extended life possible.
The perfect time to get your window air conditioner serviced in Harvey, IL is in the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary over the winter. Besides repairs, a professional can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its components before more issues arise. Cleaning the interior of the unit is the only way to inhibit mold from developing that could jeopardize your health. Any dirt and debris that accumulates inside the unit will also affect overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repairs are relatively affordable and enables you to preserve your investment as long as possible until buying a new unit becomes absolutely necessary. You may even get discount prices if you hire a professional to provide scheduled repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Compare repair specialists on the Thumbtack app and find one matching your budget and needs.
Do window air conditioners require a freon recharge to give the best performance?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need recharging with freon at all during its lifespan. If it does ever need to be recharged, it usually is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repair work. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you understand if the issue is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the unit and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a major one might provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific model provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your unit contains evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it functions effectively.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the unit requires proper airflow to work. Check that nothing is blocking the airflow, such as shrubs or other materials, and remove them if so.
If you have zero experience performing these troubleshooting steps or are overwhelmed doing them alone, consider enlisting an expert to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair technician in Harvey, IL can determine which one of these issues may be impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty unit, potentially getting you a refund if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Maintain Your Window Air Conditioner With Repair Technicians on Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors near Harvey, IL are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC unit will be cost-effective if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units made to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These machines are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial settings. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window air conditioner will efficiently cool and heat a room any time of year. It's common for some components to finally fail under constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues come up, an expert repair person has the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors providing AC repair are licensed to work with regulated substances like freon used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also possess the experience repairing the many complex components inside these units and will even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Factors to look for when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, business hours, and cost. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can conveniently and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.