Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Cottage Hills, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
How should I select the best window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be a wise idea to do your due diligence before picking a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off service around Cottage Hills, IL, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many kinds of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and components. Always check that the contractor you're vetting has knowledge of your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Cottage Hills, IL and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance might be under warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Choosing a contractor that offers warranties on their labor will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Normal business times aren't always ideal for effectively cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in the event your unit fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most established repair professionals will have references from past customers confirming their skills and services. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the contractor provides quality repairs and customer satisfaction.
How do you know when your window air conditioner is in need of repairs?
You shouldn't wait for the moment your window air conditioner breaks down to look for repair services near Cottage Hills, IL. Troubleshoot your unit for any of these common issues to decide whether calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner can last ten years, though regular maintenance can increase its lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs means it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, while mold is a detriment to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner might be drawing more electricity than is necessary when functioning correctly. Hire a contractor to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than expected whenever your appliance runs.
How often should most window air conditioners need to be repaired?
Hopefully, you purchased a quality window air conditioning unit, which should survive around ten years before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are ideally performed once or twice a year to ensure it operates efficiently and delivers the longest life possible.
The best time to have your window air conditioner repaired in Cottage Hills, IL is during the spring before you need it to operate over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary for the winter. Other than repairs, a technician can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its parts before further issues pop up. Cleaning the interior of the unit is the only way to prevent mold from growing that may jeopardize your health. Any dirt and debris that falls into the unit will also diminish overall performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and enables you to preserve your investment as long as possible before buying a new unit is absolutely necessary. You might be able to find discount prices if you hire a professional for regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Compare repair experts on the Thumbtack platform to find one who matches your budget and needs.
Can I consider adding freon in my window air conditioner for more efficient cooling?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need replenishing with freon at all during its lifespan. If it did need recharging, it typically means there is a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to handle the repair work. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you pinpoint if the issue is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for greasy spots on or underneath the unit and a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the event of a leak, but a significant one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The unit has evaporator or condenser coils that also should be cleaned to ensure it functions effectively.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner requires enough airflow to function correctly. Check that nothing obstructs circulation, such as shrubs or other materials, and remove them if so.
If you have little experience carrying out these troubleshooting steps or feel overwhelmed doing them yourself, consider hiring an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair professional near Cottage Hills, IL will be able to determine which one of these issues may be impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty unit, potentially saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Choose a Professional for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Cottage Hills, IL With Thumbtack
Reliable window air conditioner repair contractors around Cottage Hills, IL are waiting to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable air conditioning unit can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling machines designed to be installed in a window or a specially constructed opening in a wall. These appliances are commonly used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for residential and business applications. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window air conditioner can efficiently cool and heat a space any time of year. It's common for some parts to finally fail under constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a contractor to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues arise, an expert repair person will have the tools and training to do the job quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair are certified to work with regulated substances like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. A contractor will also have experience repairing the many complex components inside these units and can even clean them to stretch their lifespan. Things to look for when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most critical systems.