Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Brookfield, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What specific part often leads to the highest repair bill for a window air conditioner?
The costliest repairs on a window air conditioner will vary depending on the specific model of the unit and the extent of the issue. Examples of the most expensive parts to repair or replace for residents of Brookfield, Illinois include:
- Compressor - The compressor is a crucial element that helps circulate freon and increases its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, located on the outside part of the unit, expels heat accumulated by the evaporator coil to finish the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: This board is responsible for controlling various tasks and features of the unit, such as the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - A fan motor is usually integrated with several complex parts of the unit to help with functions like heat exchange, circulation, condensing, and evaporation.
- Refrigerant Leak Repair - If there's a freon leak, the cost to repair it and recharging will be significant. Keep in mind that refrigerants are regulated substances needing specialized certification and equipment to work with.
It's worth noting that the decision to fix or replace a window air conditioner will be based on things like the age of the unit, the extent of the damage, and cost. If your unit is less than ten years old, investing in any of these repairs will usually be more cost-efficient than purchasing a new one.
How often will window air conditioners generally need maintenance and repairs?
Hopefully, you purchased a quality window air conditioning unit, which will survive about ten years before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are recommended once or twice a year to keep it operating properly and gives the longest life possible.
The best time to have your window air conditioner repaired in Brookfield, Illinois is during the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary over the winter. Other than repairs, a professional can safely open the unit if needed to clean its components before further issues arise. Cleaning the inside of the unit is the only way to prevent mold from growing which may jeopardize your health. Any dirt and debris that falls into the unit will also affect overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and enables you to preserve your investment longer until buying a new unit becomes absolutely necessary. You may be able to get discount prices if you hire a professional for regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Compare repair specialists on the Thumbtack platform to find one who matches your budget and needs.
Should I be concerned about the refrigerant levels in my window air conditioner and get a recharge?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that won't need recharging with freon at all throughout its lifespan. If it did need to be recharged, it usually is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repair work. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you understand if the problem is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the unit accompanied by a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the event of a leak, but a major one might provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will lower the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also must be cleaned to ensure it operates effectively.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the machine requires enough airflow to operate. Check that nothing is obstructing the airflow, like shrubs or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have zero experience conducting these troubleshooting measures or are uncomfortable doing them alone, consider hiring a contractor to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair technician in Brookfield, Illinois will be able to establish if one of these problems is affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective unit, possibly saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Is repairing a window air conditioning unit a beneficial expense?
Installing central air will cost thousands of dollars around Brookfield, Illinois and isn't a choice for anyone renting or with a tight budget. The most cost-effective substitute are window air conditioning machines, but even these typically cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new units will be more expensive than repairs, making it a smart choice in the long run.
Opting to fix your window air conditioners rather than replacing them could come down to your long-term goals. If you are planning to put a whole-home HVAC system in your residence, maintaining curent window units could be a necessary short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, including energy efficiency, portability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling and heating with central air. Assess your requirements and goals and weigh them against the cost of repairs offered by contractors on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be worthwhile.
Choose a Professional Suiting Your Budget and Schedule for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Brookfield, Illinois With Thumbtack
Reliable window air conditioner repair contractors near Brookfield, Illinois are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC unit will be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines designed to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These units are commonly used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and commercial applications. Much more affordable than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window air conditioner will effectively cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some components to eventually break down under constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as problems come up, an expert repair person has the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair are certified to work with regulated chemicals like refrigerant used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also have experience working with the many intricate parts within these units and will even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Factors to look for when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can effortlessly and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.