Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Brighton, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
How should I choose a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be best to do your due diligence when selecting a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're searching for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-off service around Brighton, Illinois, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of kinds of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with a variety of systems and components. Always ensure the professional you're considering has knowledge of your particular brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Brighton, Illinois and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner might be under warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Picking a professional that offers warranties on their labor will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Standard business hours aren't always best when it comes to cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair contractors who provide on-call services in case your machine fails over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most proven contractors will show references from past clients confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the contractor delivers quality work and customer service.
What is the most frequent problem with window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner breaks down to find repair services in Brighton, Illinois. Assess your machine for any of these common problems to know if calling in a contractor is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner will last ten years, though scheduled maintenance can stretch its service life to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is nearing its prime, particularly if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it powers on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or moldy smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold is a detriment to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner might be using more electricity than is necessary when functioning correctly. Turn to a professional to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than expected whenever the unit runs.
How often will window air conditioners generally require cleaning and repairs?
Hopefully, you bought a quality window air conditioning unit, which will survive around ten years before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are recommended once or twice a year to ensure it operates correctly and gives the longest life possible.
The perfect time to get your window air conditioner looked at in Brighton, Illinois is in the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary over the winter. Other than repairs, an expert can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its components before further issues pop up. Cleaning the inside of the appliance is the only way to stop mold from developing that might affect your air quality. Any dirt or debris that falls into the unit will also hurt its performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and helps to preserve your investment as long as possible before buying a new unit is absolutely necessary. You may even get discount prices if you contract a professional for regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Vet repair technicians on the Thumbtack app and find one who matches your budget and needs.
Do window air conditioners need a freon refill to deliver optimal performance?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon at all during its service life. If it did need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you understand if the malfunction is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for grease spots on or underneath the appliance accompanied with a musty or sweet smell. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a big one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will impact the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your machine has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it functions properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the window air conditioner needs enough airflow to function correctly. Check that nothing obstructs airflow, like plants or other materials, and remove them if so.
If you have little experience conducting these troubleshooting steps or are uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair professional in Brighton, Illinois will be able to establish if one of these problems is impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty appliance, possibly saving you money if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Preserve Your Window Air Conditioner By Choosing Repair Contractors on Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors around Brighton, Illinois are standing by to be hired on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC unit can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than buying a new model. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units designed to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These units are commonly used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and business environments. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window unit can efficiently cool or heat a space any time of year. It's common for some components to eventually break down from heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as problems come up, an expert repair person has the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair will be certified to work with regulated substances like freon used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also have experience working with the many intricate parts inside these units and can even clean them to stretch their service life. Things to look for when choosing a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. All this valuable information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can conveniently and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.