Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Bolingbrook, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do I need to be worried about the freon levels in my window air conditioner and get it replinished?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon at all throughout its service life. If it did need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you pinpoint if the issue is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the machine accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a big one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will lower the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The unit contains evaporator or condenser coils that also should be cleaned to ensure it operates properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the appliance requires enough airflow to function correctly. Check that nothing obstructs circulation, including plants or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience carrying out these troubleshooting measures or feel uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring a contractor to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair expert near Bolingbrook, IL will be able to determine if one of these problems is affecting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a defective machine, possibly getting you a refund if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Is the expense of fixing a window air conditioner worth it?
Putting in central air will cost thousands of dollars around Bolingbrook, IL and isn't an option for anyone renting or with financial constraints. The most cost-efficient substitute is window air conditioning machines, but even these can cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new units will be more expensive than repairs, making it a smart choice in many circumstances.
Opting to fix current window air conditioners rather than replacing them could come down to your long-term plans. If you are planning to install a whole-home HVAC system in your house, maintaining curent window units could be the best short-term solution. But window units also have advantages over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating alongside central air. Assess your requirements and goals and compare them to the price of repairs offered by technicians on Thumbtack to decide if they will be worthwhile.
What are the most important considerations when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be best to do your due diligence before choosing a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. No matter if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off repair in Bolingbrook, IL, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many types of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with a variety of systems and components. Always check that the professional you're considering has experience working with your particular brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper licenses to do repairs in Bolingbrook, IL and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your appliance might have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of the service. Picking a professional who offers guarantees on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Routine business times aren't always ideal when it comes to cooling and heating your residence. You may find window air conditioner repair professionals who provide on-call services in case your unit fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most reliable contractors will have references from past clients confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the contractor delivers quality repairs and customer service.
What are signs that I may need window air conditioner repair?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner breaks down to find repair services near Bolingbrook, IL. Evaluate your unit for any of these common problems to decide if calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner will last a decade, though scheduled repairs can increase its service life to 15 years. Consider employing a professional to conduct preventive maintenance if your appliance is near its prime, especially if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Sounds - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or mildew smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs means it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, while mold is a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be drawing more power than is normal when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than expected whenever the appliance runs.
Discover a Contractor for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Bolingbrook, IL With Thumbtack
Experienced window air conditioner repair contractors in Bolingbrook, IL are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable air conditioning unit will be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling appliances designed to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in a wall. These machines are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for residential and business applications. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window unit will effectively cool and heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some parts to eventually break down under constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when problems arise, an expert repair professional will have the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors providing HVAC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also possess the experience working with the many intricate components inside these units and will even clean them to stretch their service life. Factors to consider when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can effortlessly and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.