Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Bethalto, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do I need to be concerned about the freon levels in my window air conditioner and consider getting it replinished?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed coolant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon at all during its service life. If it does ever need to be recharged, it usually is a sign of a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to handle the job. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these basic troubleshooting steps to help you pinpoint if the malfunction is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for grease spots on or underneath the unit accompanied with a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually imperceptible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a big one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be kept clean to ensure it operates properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the unit requires enough airflow to work. Check that nothing is blocking the airflow, like vegetation or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience carrying out these troubleshooting steps or are overwhelmed doing them alone, consider enlisting an expert to handle it all for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor in Bethalto, IL will be able to establish which one of these problems is affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty unit, potentially getting you a refund if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Are the costs of fixing a window air conditioner justified?
Putting in central air will cost thousands of dollars around Bethalto, IL and isn't an option for people renting or with a tight budget. A cost-effective substitute is window air conditioning units, but even these can cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these appliances will be more expensive than repairs, making it a worthwhile investment in many circumstances.
Opting to repair existing window air conditioners versus replacing them may be based on your long-term goals. If you plan to put a whole-home HVAC system in your house, maintaining curent window units could be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating alongside central air. Evaluate your requirements and goals and weigh them against the cost of repairs offered by pros on Thumbtack to decide if they will be acceptable.
What are some important aspects to evaluate when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be best to do your due diligence before selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off repair in Bethalto, IL, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of types of window air conditioners on the market, and some have different systems and features. Always make sure the contractor you're vetting has knowledge of your particular make and model before hiring.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper licenses to conduct repairs in Bethalto, IL and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of repairs. Hiring a contractor that provides warranties on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Routine business hours aren't always best for effectively cooling and heating your residence. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your appliance fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most dependable repair professionals will have references from previous customers confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the contractor delivers quality repairs and customer service.
Which issue is most frequently reported with window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner breaks down to look for repair services in Bethalto, IL. Troubleshoot your appliance for any of these common problems to decide whether calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner should last ten years, though regular maintenance can increase the service life to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming noises as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be repaired. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be using more electricity than is usual when functioning correctly. Hire a contractor to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than usual whenever your appliance runs.
Enlist a Pro Fitting Your Budget and Schedule for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Bethalto, IL on Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors in Bethalto, IL are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable air conditioning system can be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than buying a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These appliances are commonly used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial environments. Much less expensive than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window system can efficiently cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some components to finally break down from heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever problems come up, an expert repair person will have the tools and training to do the job quickly. Contractors providing HVAC repair are licensed to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also possess the experience working with the many intricate parts within these units and can even clean them to prolong its service life. Factors to consider when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you effortlessly and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.