Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Berkeley, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What are the most important considerations when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be best to do your research when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Regardless if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-time repair around Berkeley, IL, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many makes and models of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and components. Always make sure the contractor you're considering has knowledge of your specific brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You should verify that the technician has the proper licensing to conduct repairs in Berkeley, IL and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance could have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the price of the service. Hiring a contractor that provides warranties on their work will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Normal business times aren't always ideal for effectively cooling and heating your home. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your appliance fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most proven contractors will provide references from previous customers vouching for their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how effectively the technician delivers quality work and customer service.
What issue is usually the most frequent in window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait for the moment your window air conditioner breaks down to look for repair services in Berkeley, IL. Evaluate your appliance for any of these common issues to decide if calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner will last a decade, though scheduled maintenance can increase its service life to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, and mold may be behind the mildew smell and be a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Higher Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner may be drawing more power than is normal when functioning properly. Turn to a contractor to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than expected whenever your machine runs.
What is the standard repair interval for most window air conditioning units?
Hopefully, you purchased a quality window air conditioner, which should survive around a decade before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are ideally performed once or twice a year to ensure it operates correctly and gives the most extended life possible.
The perfect time to have your window air conditioner looked at in Berkeley, IL is during the spring before you need it to operate over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary over the winter. Besides repairs, an expert can safely disassemble the unit if needed to clean its parts before more issues pop up. Cleaning the interior of the machine is the only way to stop mold from developing which could affect your air quality. Any dirt and debris that accumulates in the unit could also hurt overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repairs are relatively affordable and enables you to stretch your investment longer before buying a new one is absolutely necessary. You might even get discount rates if you hire a professional for scheduled repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Compare repair pros on the Thumbtack app to find one matching your budget and needs.
Do I need to be worried about the freon levels in my window air conditioner and get it replinished?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need replenishing with freon at all throughout its service life. If it does ever need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to handle the repair work. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these basic troubleshooting steps to help you pinpoint if the malfunction is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the machine and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is often imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a big one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also should be kept clean to ensure it operates correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the unit requires adequate airflow to function correctly. Ensure that nothing obstructs circulation, including shrubs or furniture, and remove them if so.
If you have zero experience performing these troubleshooting tasks or feel overwhelmed doing them yourself, consider enlisting an expert to handle it all for you. A window air conditioner repair professional in Berkeley, IL will be able to determine which one of these issues may be affecting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a defective machine, potentially saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Keep Up Your Window Air Conditioner With Repair Experts on Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors around Berkeley, IL are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC unit will be cost-effective if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be installed in a window or a specially constructed opening in a wall. These units are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for residential and commercial settings. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window air conditioner will efficiently cool and heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some parts to eventually break down from constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
Regardless if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever issues come up, an expert repair professional has the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in AC repair will be licensed to work with regulated substances like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. A contractor will also possess the experience working with the many complex parts within these units and will even clean them to stretch their service life. Things to consider when picking a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, client reviews, service hours, and price. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most critical systems.