Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Belleville, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What part of a window air conditioner tends to be the most expensive to repair?
The costliest repairs on a window air conditioner can vary based on the particular model of the machine and the extent of the problem. Some of the most expensive parts to repair or replace as reported by residents in Belleville, Illinois are:
- Compressor - The compressor is an important piece that helps move refrigerant and increases its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, located on the outer part of the machine, expels heat built up by the evaporator coil to complete the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: The board is responsible for operating many functions of the unit, like the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - The fan motor is typically integrated with many complex components of the machine to help with functions such as heat exchange, circulation, condensing, and evaporation.
- Refrigerant Leak Repair - If there's a refrigerant leak, the price to repair it and recharging will add up. Additionally, refrigerants are regulated substances needing specialized certification and gear to handle.
It's worth noting that the decision to repair or replace a window air conditioner will be based on things like the age of the machine, the extent of the damage, and cost. If your unit is not past its recommended service life, investing in any of these repairs may be more cost-efficient than purchasing a new model.
How often do most window air conditioners need repairs?
Hopefully, you bought a quality window air conditioner, which will last about ten years before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, preventive maintenance and repairs are recommended once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and delivers the longest life possible.
The best time to get your window air conditioner looked at in Belleville, Illinois is during the spring before it sees heavy use in the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary over the winter. Other than repairs, a professional can safely open the unit if necessary to clean its parts before further issues pop up. Cleaning the inside of the machine is the only way to inhibit mold from growing that may affect your health. Any dirt and debris that falls into the unit will also hurt overall performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and enables you to stretch your investment as long as possible until buying a new unit becomes absolutely necessary. You may even get discount rates if you hire a professional for scheduled repair and cleaning services on an annual basis. Vet repair pros on the Thumbtack app to find one who matches your budget and schedule.
Do window air conditioners need a freon refill to provide the best performance?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need replenishing with freon anytime throughout its service life. If it did need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to handle the repairs. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you know if the problem is related to low freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or beneath the machine accompanied with a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually invisible to the eyes and nose in the event of a leak, but a significant one might result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The machine has evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be kept clean to ensure it functions efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the machine requires adequate airflow to operate. Check that nothing is obstructing the airflow, like plants or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have zero experience performing these troubleshooting measures or are uncomfortable doing them alone, consider hiring an expert to do the job for you. A window air conditioner repair technician near Belleville, Illinois will be able to establish if one of these problems may be affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty machine, potentially getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Is fixing a window air conditioner a worthwhile expense?
Installing central air will cost a lot of money in Belleville, Illinois and isn't an option for people renting or with financial constraints. A cost-efficient substitute are window air conditioning machines, but even these can cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these appliances will be more expensive than repairs, making it a worthwhile choice in many circumstances.
Opting to repair existing window air conditioners versus replacing them may come down to your long-term goals. If you are planning to put a whole-home HVAC system in your house, repairing curent window units might be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over other HVAC systems, including energy efficiency, portability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Consider your requirements and goals and weigh them against the cost of repair services offered by professionals on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be acceptable.
Preserve Your Window Air Conditioner With Repair Professionals on Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors near Belleville, Illinois are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable air conditioning unit can be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines made to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These units are often used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and business environments. Much more affordable than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window unit can efficiently cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some parts to eventually fail under heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever problems come up, an expert repair professional has the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors specializing in HVAC repair are licensed to work with regulated substances like freon used in closed cooling systems. A contractor will also have experience repairing the many complex components inside these units and can even clean them to stretch its service life. Things to consider when selecting a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, business hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you conveniently and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.