Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Alhambra, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
How do I choose a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be a good idea to do your research when picking a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. No matter if you're looking for routine maintenance or a one-time repair in Alhambra, Illinois, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are many makes and models of window air conditioners available, and some have different systems and features. Always make sure the professional you're vetting has experience working with your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Alhambra, Illinois and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of the service. Hiring a professional that provides guarantees on their work will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Routine business hours aren't always ideal for effectively cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair professionals who provide on-call services in the event your unit fails over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most established contractors will provide references from past clients confirming their skills and professionalism. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the contractor provides quality work and customer satisfaction.
What is the most frequent problem with window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services near Alhambra, Illinois. Assess your unit for any of these common issues to decide whether calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner should last a decade, though scheduled maintenance can stretch the lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your appliance is nearing its prime, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding noises are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates could be a sign it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold is a danger to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner may be drawing more power than is normal when functioning properly. Hire a professional to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever your unit runs.
How often do window air conditioners typically require maintenance or repairs?
Hopefully, you bought a quality window air conditioner, which will survive about a decade before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are suggested once or twice a year to keep it operating properly and gives the most extended life possible.
The ideal time to have your window air conditioner repaired in Alhambra, Illinois is in the spring before you need it to operate in the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary for the winter. Other than repairs, a contractor can safely open the unit if necessary to clean its components before further issues pop up. Cleaning the inside of the appliance is the only way to stop mold from growing which may affect your air quality. Any dirt or debris that accumulates in the unit could also diminish overall performance if not removed.
Window air conditioner repairs are relatively affordable and enables you to preserve your investment longer until buying a new one is absolutely necessary. You may even find discount prices if you hire a professional to provide regular repair and cleaning services on an annual basis. Compare repair pros on the Thumbtack app to find one matching your budget and needs.
Should I consider adding freon to my window air conditioner for more efficient cooling?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need to be recharged with freon anytime throughout its lifespan. If it did need recharging, it typically means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you understand if the malfunction is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for grease spots on or underneath the appliance accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a major one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific model provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your unit contains evaporator or condenser coils that also should be cleaned to ensure it functions efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner requires adequate airflow to work. Ensure that nothing obstructs circulation, like vegetation or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have little experience performing these troubleshooting measures or are overwhelmed doing them alone, consider hiring an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor near Alhambra, Illinois will be able to establish which one of these issues may be affecting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty appliance, possibly getting you a refund if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Choose a Professional for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Alhambra, Illinois With Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors in Alhambra, Illinois are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Repairing your transportable air conditioning unit can be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling machines designed to be installed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These machines are commonly used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial settings. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window unit can effectively cool or heat a space any time of year. It's common for some components to eventually fail from constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues arise, an expert repair professional has the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors offering HVAC repair will be licensed to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also possess the experience repairing the many intricate parts within these units and can even clean them to stretch its lifespan. Things to consider when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, client reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can effortlessly and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.