Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Melbourne, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is it worth fixing a window air conditioning unit?
Installing central air will cost a lot of money in Melbourne, Florida and isn't a choice for those renting or with financial constraints. A cost-efficient alternative are window air conditioning units, but even these can cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these appliances will be more costly than repairs, making it a worthwhile investment in the long run.
Opting to repair current window air conditioners versus replacing them could be based on your long-term goals. If you plan to put central air in your house, maintaining existing window units might be a necessary short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over whole-home systems, such as increased energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling and heating with central air. Assess your requirements and goals and compare them to the price of repair services offered by pros on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be worthwhile.
What are the most important aspects to evaluate when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be a good idea to do your due diligence when picking a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Regardless if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off service around Melbourne, Florida, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several types of window air conditioners available, and some have different systems and components. Always make sure the professional you're considering has knowledge of your specific brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to do repairs in Melbourne, Florida and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner could have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Hiring a professional that provides warranties on their labor will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Standard business hours aren't always convenient for effectively cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair professionals who offer on-call services in case your appliance goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most reliable contractors will show references from past customers confirming their skills and professionalism. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the contractor provides quality repairs and customer service.
How will you know when your window air conditioner is in need of repairs?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner breaks down to look for repair services near Melbourne, Florida. Inspect your appliance for any of these common issues to decide if calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner can last a decade, though regular maintenance can increase its service life to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your unit is near its prime, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Noises - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it powers on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be repaired. Wiring problems are a fire hazard, and mold is a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner may be drawing more power than is normal when functioning properly. Hire a professional to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever the appliance runs.
What is the most costly part to repair on a window air conditioner?
The costliest repairs on a window air conditioner can vary depending on the specific brand of the unit and the extent of the problem. Examples of the most expensive parts to repair or replace for residents in Melbourne, Florida include:
- Compressor - The compressor is a crucial piece that squeezes freon and enhances its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, located on the outside part of the unit, releases heat built up by the evaporator coil to finish the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: This board is responsible for controlling many functions of the air conditioner, like the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - The fan motor is typically integrated with many intricate parts of the unit to help with functions like heat exchange, airflow, condensing, and evaporation.
- Refrigerant Leak Repair - If there's a freon leak, the price to repair it and a recharge can be significant. Keep in mind that refrigerants are regulated chemicals requiring specialized certification and equipment to handle.
You should note that deciding to repair or replace a window air conditioner depends on things like the age of the unit, the scope of the damage, and cost. If your window air conditioner is less than ten years old, investing in any of these repairs will usually be more cost-efficient than purchasing a new one.
Enlist an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Melbourne, Florida With Thumbtack
Experienced window air conditioner repair contractors around Melbourne, Florida are standing by to be hired on Thumbtack. Repairing your transportable air conditioning unit can be cost-effective if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service appointment as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be installed in a window or a specially constructed opening in a wall. These units are commonly used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and business environments. Much less expensive than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window unit can effectively cool or heat a room any time of year. It's common for some parts to eventually fail from heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
Regardless if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues arise, an expert repair professional has the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in AC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also have experience repairing the many intricate parts inside these units and can even clean them to stretch their service life. Things to consider when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, client reviews, business hours, and price. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.