Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Lake Placid, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do window air conditioners have to be recharged with refrigerant?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that won't need replenishing with freon at all during its service life. If it does ever need to be recharged, it usually means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repair work. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you know if the problem is related to leaking freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the appliance and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually invisible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a significant one might result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your unit has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be cleaned to ensure it operates correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the window air conditioner requires proper airflow to function correctly. Check that nothing is blocking the airflow, such as shrubs or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience conducting these troubleshooting measures or feel uncomfortable doing them alone, consider hiring an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair expert near Lake Placid, Florida will be able to determine if one of these issues may be affecting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is a result of a defective appliance, potentially getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Is the expense of fixing a window air conditioner worthwhile?
Putting in central air will cost a lot of money in Lake Placid, Florida and isn't an option for anyone renting or with a tight budget. The most cost-effective alternative are window air conditioning machines, but even these will cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these appliances will be more expensive than routine maintenance, making it a worthwhile investment in many circumstances.
Choosing to fix current window air conditioners rather than replacing them may come down to your long-term plans. If you are planning to put a whole-home HVAC system in your residence, maintaining curent window units might be the best short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Consider your requirements and goals and compare them to the cost of repair services offered by professionals on Thumbtack to decide if they will be worthwhile.
What are some important aspects to evaluate when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It would be best to do your due diligence when choosing a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're looking for routine maintenance or a one-off repair around Lake Placid, Florida, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several kinds of window air conditioners on the market, and some have a variety of systems and features. Always ensure the professional you're vetting has experience working with your particular make and model before hiring.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper licenses to conduct repairs in Lake Placid, Florida and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner may have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of the service. Picking a professional who provides guarantees on their labor will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Standard business times aren't always best when it comes to cooling and heating your house. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in the event your unit goes down over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most reliable repair professionals will show references from past customers vouching for their skills and professionalism. Check for online reviews to get a sense for how efficiently the contractor delivers quality repairs and customer satisfaction.
What are indications that I may need window air conditioner repair?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services near Lake Placid, Florida. Troubleshoot your unit for any of these common issues to know whether calling in a contractor is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner should last ten years, though regular maintenance can stretch its service life to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Sounds - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or mildew smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs means it should be repaired. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to indoor air quality.
- Higher Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be using more electricity than is usual when functioning correctly. Turn to a professional to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever the machine runs.
Choose an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Lake Placid, Florida on Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors around Lake Placid, Florida are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Repairing your transportable HVAC system will be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units made to be installed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These machines are commonly used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and business settings. Much more affordable than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window system will effectively cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some components to eventually fail under heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues arise, an expert repair person has the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors providing AC repair are licensed to work with regulated chemicals like refrigerant used in self-contained cooling systems. A professional will also have experience repairing the many complex components within these units and will even clean them to stretch their service life. Things to look for when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and cost. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can effortlessly and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.