Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Jacksonville, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is it worth fixing a window air conditioner?
Putting in whole-home air conditioning will cost thousands of dollars around Jacksonville, FL and isn't a choice for anyone renting or with a tight budget. A cost-efficient alternative is window air conditioning units, but even these will cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new appliances will be more expensive than routine maintenance, making it a worthwhile choice in many circumstances.
Opting to repair current window air conditioners rather than replacing them could come down to your long-term plans. If you plan to put central air in your residence, maintaining existing window units could be the best short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling and heating with central air. Evaluate your needs and goals and compare them to the cost of repairs offered by technicians on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be acceptable.
What are some important considerations when choosing a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be a good idea to do your due diligence when selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Whether you're searching for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time repair around Jacksonville, FL, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of makes and models of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with different systems and features. Always ensure the contractor you're vetting has experience working with your particular make and model by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You should verify that the technician has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Jacksonville, FL and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner might have a warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of repairs. Hiring a contractor who offers guarantees on their labor will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Normal business hours aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your residence. Consider window air conditioner repair professionals who offer on-call services in case your unit goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most established contractors will provide references from previous clients confirming their skills and services. Check for online reviews to understand how effectively the technician provides quality repairs and customer service.
What is the most persistent problem in window air conditioning units?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner stops working to look for repair services in Jacksonville, FL. Assess your unit for any of these common issues to know if calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner should last ten years, though scheduled repairs can stretch the lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring a contractor to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is nearing its prime, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it should be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, and mold is a danger to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner may be using more electricity than is normal when functioning correctly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever your unit runs.
What particular part often leads to the highest repair bill for a window air conditioner?
The most expensive part to repair on a window air conditioner varies by the particular brand of the machine and the extent of the issue. A few of the most expensive parts to repair or replace as reported by residents in Jacksonville, FL include:
- Compressor - The compressor is a crucial element that helps move freon and enhances its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, positioned on the outer part of the machine, releases heat built up by the evaporator coil to finish the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: This board is responsible for operating many functions of the unit, such as the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - The fan motor is usually integrated with many intricate components of the machine to help with functions like heat exchange, circulation, condensing, and evaporation.
- Freon Leak Repair - If there's a freon leak, the cost to repair it and a recharge will add up. Additionally, refrigerants are regulated substances requiring specialized training and tools to handle.
You should note that deciding to repair or replace a window air conditioner will be based on things like the age of the machine, the scope of the damage, and cost. If your unit is not beyond its recommended service life, investing in any of these repairs may be more cost-efficient than purchasing a new model.
Preserve Your Window Air Conditioner By Choosing Repair Technicians on Thumbtack
Reliable window air conditioner repair contractors around Jacksonville, FL are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC unit can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines made to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These units are commonly used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial applications. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window unit can effectively cool or heat a room any time of year. It's common for some components to finally break down under heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when issues come up, an expert repair person will have the tools and training to do the job quickly. Contractors providing HVAC repair are certified to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also possess the experience repairing the many intricate components within these units and can even clean them to stretch their lifespan. Things to consider when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack to let you easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most critical systems.