Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in New Hartford, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
How should I choose a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be best to do your research before selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. No matter if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-time service around New Hartford, Connecticut, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several types of window air conditioners available, and some function with different systems and components. Always make sure the contractor you're vetting has experience working with your specific brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper accreditation to do repairs in New Hartford, Connecticut and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your appliance could be under warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the cost of the service. Picking a contractor who provides warranties on their labor will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Standard business hours aren't always best for effectively cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your machine fails over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most proven repair professionals will provide references from past customers vouching for their skills and services. Check for online reviews to understand how efficiently the contractor provides quality repairs and customer satisfaction.
What issue is usually the most prevalent with window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services near New Hartford, Connecticut. Troubleshoot your machine for any of these common issues to know if calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner can last ten years, though scheduled maintenance can increase its lifespan to 15 years. Consider employing a contractor to perform preventive maintenance if your appliance is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Strange Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding noises are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or moldy smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it runs means it needs to be repaired. Wiring issues are a fire hazard, while mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner could be drawing more power than is normal when functioning properly. Turn to a professional to repair the unit if your electric bills increase more than expected whenever your machine runs.
How frequently should most window air conditioners need repairs?
Hopefully, you purchased a highly-rated window air conditioning unit, which should last around ten years before you need a new one. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are suggested once or twice a year to ensure it operates properly and gives the most extended life possible.
The perfect time to get your window air conditioner serviced in New Hartford, Connecticut is during the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary for the winter. Other than repairs, an expert can safely disassemble the unit if necessary to clean its parts before more issues occur. Cleaning the inside of the machine is the only way to prevent mold from growing which could affect your air quality. Any dirt or debris that accumulates inside the unit will also diminish overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repairs are relatively affordable and enables you to stretch your investment longer before buying a new unit becomes absolutely necessary. You may be able to get discount rates if you hire a professional to provide scheduled repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Vet repair technicians on the Thumbtack platform to find one who matches your budget and needs.
Should I be concerned about the freon levels in my window air conditioner and get it replinished?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that won't need replenishing with freon anytime throughout its lifespan. If it does ever need to be recharged, it typically means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you pinpoint if the problem is related to depleted freon or something more common:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for greasy spots on or beneath the machine accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a significant one may result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your machine contains evaporator or condenser coils that also should be cleaned to ensure it operates properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the unit needs proper airflow to function correctly. Ensure that nothing is obstructing the airflow, like shrubs or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have little experience performing these troubleshooting tasks or are overwhelmed doing them alone, consider enlisting an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair expert near New Hartford, Connecticut will be able to pinpoint which one of these issues is impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective machine, possibly getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Hire an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in New Hartford, Connecticut on Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors around New Hartford, Connecticut are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC system can be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of buying a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be put in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These units are often used to cool individual rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and commercial applications. Much more affordable than installing central air, a window unit can effectively cool or heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some parts to finally fail under heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a contractor to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
No matter if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues arise, an expert repair person has the tools and training to do the task quickly. Contractors specializing in AC repair will be licensed to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also have experience repairing the many complex parts within these units and can even clean them to stretch their lifespan. Factors to consider when choosing a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, client reviews, service hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you conveniently and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.