Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in New Canaan, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
As far as repair expenses, which part in a window air conditioner is usually the priciest?
The costliest repairs on a window air conditioner will vary depending on the specific model of the unit and the nature of the problem. Examples of the most expensive parts to repair or replace as reported by residents near New Canaan, Connecticut include:
- Compressor - The compressor is a crucial element that squeezes refrigerant and improves its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, positioned on the outside part of the unit, expels heat absorbed by the evaporator coil to finish the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: The board is responsible for controlling various functions of the air conditioner, including the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - A fan motor is typically integrated with many complex parts of the unit to help with functions such as heat exchange, circulation, condensing, and evaporation.
- Refrigerant Leak Repair - If there's a refrigerant leak, the price of repairing it and recharging can be significant. Additionally, refrigerants are regulated substances needing specialized certification and equipment to work with.
You should note that the decision to repair or replace a window air conditioner depends on things like the age of the unit, the scope of the damage, and price. If your unit is not past its recommended service life, investing in any of these repairs could be more economical than purchasing a new model.
What is the typical repair interval for most window air conditioning units?
Hopefully, you purchased a quality window air conditioning unit, which will last about ten years before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, regular maintenance and repairs are suggested once or twice a year to ensure it operates efficiently and delivers the most extended life possible.
The perfect time to have your window air conditioner repaired in New Canaan, Connecticut is in the spring before it sees heavy use over the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature becomes necessary for the winter. Besides repairs, a contractor can safely open the unit if needed to clean its parts before more issues pop up. Cleaning the interior of the unit is the only way to stop mold from developing which may jeopardize your health. Any dirt and debris that falls into the unit could also affect overall performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repairs are generally affordable and enables you to preserve your investment as long as possible until buying a new unit becomes absolutely necessary. You might even find discount prices if you hire a professional for regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Vet repair specialists on the Thumbtack platform and find one matching your budget and schedule.
Should I consider adding freon in my window air conditioner for better cooling?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need to be recharged with freon anytime during its lifespan. If it does ever need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you understand if the problem is related to low freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or underneath the unit and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually invisible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a big one might leave a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty and clogged, will lower the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be kept clean to ensure it operates correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the window air conditioner needs proper airflow to operate. Ensure that nothing is obstructing the circulation, including shrubs or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have zero experience conducting these troubleshooting tasks or are overwhelmed doing them yourself, consider hiring a contractor to do the job for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor in New Canaan, Connecticut will be able to establish which one of these problems is impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective unit, potentially saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Are the benefits of fixing a window air conditioner worth the expense?
Installing central air will cost a lot of money in New Canaan, Connecticut and isn't an option for anyone renting or with financial constraints. A cost-effective alternative is window air conditioning units, but even these will cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new appliances will be more costly than repairs, making it a worthwhile choice in many circumstances.
Choosing to repair current window air conditioners rather than replacing them may be based on your long-term goals. If you are planning to put a whole-home HVAC system in your property, repairing existing window units could be the best short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, including energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling and heating alongside central air. Assess your requirements and goals and compare them to the cost of repairs offered by contractors on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be acceptable.
Maintain Your Window Air Conditioner With Repair Experts on Thumbtack
Dependable window air conditioner repair contractors around New Canaan, Connecticut are waiting to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC system will be cost-efficient if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling units designed to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These units are often used to cool individual rooms or compact spaces and are popular for residential and commercial applications. Much less expensive than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window system will effectively cool and heat a space any season of the year. It's common for some parts to finally fail from heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when you need it most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever problems come up, an expert repair professional has the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors specializing in AC repair are certified to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in self-contained cooling systems. An expert will also have experience repairing the many complex parts within these units and will even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Things to look for when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, client reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more is compiled on Thumbtack so you can easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most critical systems.