Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Naugatuck, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is it normal to replenish the freon in window air conditioners?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that won't need to be recharged with freon anytime throughout its service life. If it does ever need recharging, it typically is a sign of a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repairs. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the malfunction is related to low freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for grease spots on or beneath the machine and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is often invisible to the senses in the event of a leak, but a significant one might result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides a guide on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your unit has evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it operates effectively.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the window air conditioner needs proper airflow to work. Check that nothing is obstructing the circulation, including shrubs or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience carrying out these troubleshooting steps or feel uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring a professional to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair expert in Naugatuck, CT can establish if one of these problems is impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty machine, potentially saving you money if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Are the benefits of fixing a window air conditioner worth the cost?
Putting in whole-home air conditioning will cost thousands of dollars in Naugatuck, CT and isn't an option for those renting or with financial constraints. The most cost-efficient alternative are window air conditioning units, but even these generally cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these units will be more expensive than routine maintenance, making it a worthwhile investment in many circumstances.
Opting to repair current window air conditioners rather than replacing them may come down to your long-term plans. If you are planning to put a whole-home HVAC system in your residence, maintaining curent window units could be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have benefits over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, portability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating alongside central air. Evaluate your needs and goals and weigh them against the price of repair services offered by contractors on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be worthwhile.
How do I choose a window air conditioner repair technician?
It would be best to do your research before selecting a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-time service around Naugatuck, CT, check for these key features from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several types of window air conditioners available, and some have a variety of systems and components. Always ensure the professional you're considering has knowledge of your specific brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper licensing to do repairs in Naugatuck, CT and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner could have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of repairs. Choosing a professional who provides guarantees on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Business Hours - Standard business times aren't always best when it comes to cooling and heating your home. Consider window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in case your unit fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most reliable repair professionals will have references from previous customers confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to get a sense for how effectively the technician provides quality work and customer satisfaction.
What is the most frequent issue on window air conditioning units?
You don't have to wait for the moment your window air conditioner goes out to find repair services in Naugatuck, CT. Evaluate your unit for any of these common problems to know whether calling in an expert is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner should last ten years, though scheduled repairs can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider employing a professional to perform preventive maintenance if your appliance is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Sounds - It's normal for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding noises are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any acrid or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring problems could result in a fire, and mold is a danger to indoor air quality.
- Increased Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner could be drawing more electricity than is normal when functioning correctly. Hire a professional to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever the machine runs.
Find a Professional Suiting Your Budget and Needs for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Naugatuck, CT With Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors around Naugatuck, CT are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC unit will be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service appointment right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling appliances designed to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These units are commonly used to cool single rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and commercial environments. Much more affordable than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window air conditioner will effectively cool and heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some parts to finally fail from heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
Whether you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever problems arise, an expert repair person has the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors specializing in AC repair will be certified to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in closed cooling systems. An expert will also have experience repairing the many intricate parts within these units and will even clean them to stretch its service life. Things to consider when choosing a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, client reviews, business hours, and price. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to help you easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.