Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Lebanon, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is it normal to recharge the refrigerant in window air conditioners?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that won't need replenishing with freon anytime during its lifespan. If it does ever need recharging, it usually means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to handle the job. If the unit is not cooling properly, follow these basic troubleshooting tips to help you pinpoint if the malfunction is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or underneath the unit accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often imperceptible to the senses in the case of a leak, but a major one may leave a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your unit has evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be kept clean to ensure it functions correctly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the unit needs enough airflow to operate. Check that nothing is blocking the airflow, like plants or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have zero experience carrying out these troubleshooting measures or are uncomfortable doing them alone, consider hiring an expert to do it all for you. A window air conditioner repair technician near Lebanon, CT can establish if one of these problems is impacting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty unit, possibly saving you money if the manufacturer offers a warranty.
Is it worth fixing a window air conditioner?
Putting in central air will cost a lot of money in Lebanon, CT and isn't an option for anyone renting or with financial constraints. The most cost-efficient alternative are window air conditioning units, but even these typically cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these units will be more expensive than repairs, making it a smart investment in many circumstances.
Opting to fix your window air conditioners rather than replacing them may come down to your long-term goals. If you are planning to install a whole-home HVAC system in your residence, repairing curent window units could be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, portability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling or heating alongside central air. Assess your requirements and goals and compare them to the cost of repairs offered by professionals on Thumbtack to decide if they will be acceptable.
What are some important aspects to evaluate when deciding on a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be a wise idea to do your research before picking a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the highest quality services for your money. Regardless if you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-off service around Lebanon, CT, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are several types of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with a variety of systems and features. Always check that the professional you're considering has knowledge of your specific make and model before hiring.
- Certification - You should verify that the contractor has the proper licensing to do repairs in Lebanon, CT and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your window air conditioner might have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about calculating that in the cost of the service. Hiring a professional that provides guarantees on their labor will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Standard business times aren't always best for effectively cooling and heating your residence. You may find window air conditioner repair professionals who offer on-call services in the event your unit goes down over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most reliable contractors will have references from past clients confirming their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how effectively the contractor provides quality work and customer satisfaction.
How will you know when your window air conditioner is in need of repairs?
You don't have to wait until your window air conditioner goes out to look for repair services near Lebanon, CT. Troubleshoot your unit for any of these common problems to know if calling in a professional is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner should last ten years, though scheduled repairs can increase its lifespan to 15 years. Consider employing an expert to conduct preventive maintenance if your appliance is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance problems.
- Odd Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming noises as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or moldy smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be repaired. Wiring issues could result in a fire, and mold may be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner may be using more power than is necessary when functioning properly. Hire a contractor to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever the appliance runs.
Preserve Your Window Air Conditioner By Choosing Repair Technicians on Thumbtack
Expert window air conditioner repair contractors around Lebanon, CT are standing by to be hired on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC unit can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling appliances designed to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These machines are commonly used to cool individual rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and commercial settings. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window air conditioner can efficiently cool or heat a space any time of year. It's common for some parts to finally break down from constant use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
Regardless if you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs when problems arise, an expert repair person will have the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair will be certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in closed cooling systems. An expert will also have experience working with the many intricate components within these units and can even clean them to stretch its lifespan. Things to consider when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, business hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can effortlessly and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.