Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Hebron, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do window air conditioners have to get a freon recharge to provide the best performance?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed refrigerant system that shouldn't need to be recharged with freon anytime during its service life. If it did need to be recharged, it typically means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the job. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting tips to help you understand if the problem is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for greasy spots on or beneath the machine accompanied by a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often invisible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a big one may leave a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The maker of your specific model provides a guide on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will impact the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - Your machine contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be kept clean to ensure it operates properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the unit requires enough airflow to function correctly. Make sure that nothing obstructs circulation, including plants or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have no experience performing these troubleshooting steps or are uncomfortable doing them alone, consider enlisting an expert to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair professional near Hebron, CT will be able to determine which one of these issues is impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. A professional can also tell if the leak is a result of a faulty machine, possibly getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Is it worth fixing a window air conditioner?
Installing whole-home air conditioning will cost a lot of money around Hebron, CT and isn't a choice for those renting or with a tight budget. A cost-effective substitute are window air conditioning machines, but even these usually cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these machines will be more costly than routine maintenance, making it a worthwhile choice in the long run.
Opting to fix your window air conditioners rather than replacing them could come down to your long-term goals. If you plan to put a whole-home HVAC system in your property, maintaining curent window units could be the best short-term solution. But window units also have benefits over other HVAC systems, including energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Consider your needs and goals and compare them to the cost of repair services offered by technicians on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be acceptable.
What criteria should I look for when selecting a contractor to fix my window air conditioner?
It will be best to do your research before selecting a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're searching for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time service in Hebron, CT, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of kinds of window air conditioners available, and some have a variety of systems and components. Always ensure the contractor you're considering has experience working with your specific brand of unit by asking them upfront.
- Certification - You can verify that the technician has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Hebron, CT and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance may be under warranty from the maker, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of the service. Picking a contractor who offers guarantees on their labor will give you confidence.
- Business Hours - Routine business hours aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your home. You may find window air conditioner repair contractors who provide on-call services in the event your machine fails over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most dependable repair professionals will show references from past customers vouching for their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how efficiently the technician delivers quality repairs and customer service.
What is the most common problem with window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner goes out to find repair services near Hebron, CT. Assess your machine for any of these common issues to decide whether calling in a pro is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner will last ten years, though scheduled repairs can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider hiring a contractor to conduct preventive maintenance if your appliance is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, particularly if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Noises - It's common for a window air conditioner to make a little whistling or humming sounds as it turns on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or musty smells coming from the window air conditioner as it operates means it needs to be repaired. Wiring problems could result in a fire, and mold might be behind the mildew smell and be a danger to your health.
- Higher Electric Bills - A broken window air conditioner might be using more electricity than is normal when functioning correctly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever your appliance runs.
Enlist a Professional Suiting Your Budget and Needs for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Hebron, CT on Thumbtack
Dependable window air conditioner repair contractors in Hebron, CT are waiting to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable HVAC system will be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you should expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair contractors, you'll be doing many favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling units designed to be placed in a window or a specially designed opening in a wall. These units are commonly used to cool individual rooms or small spaces and are popular for home and commercial environments. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window unit will efficiently cool and heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some components to finally fail from heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a contractor to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when you need it most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever issues arise, an expert repair professional will have the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair will be licensed to work with regulated substances like freon used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also have experience working with the many intricate components inside these units and will even clean them to prolong their service life. Factors to look for when choosing a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, service hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more can be found on Thumbtack to help you easily and confidently maintain one of your home's most critical systems.