Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in East Haven, Connecticut
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Do window air conditioners have to be replenished with refrigerant?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need replenishing with freon at all throughout its lifespan. If it does ever need to be recharged, it typically means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to take care of the repair work. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these basic troubleshooting steps to help you pinpoint if the malfunction is related to leaking freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Check for greasy spots on or beneath the machine and a musty or sweet odor. Freon is often invisible to the eyes and nose in the case of a leak, but a major one may provide a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific window air conditioner provides instructions on cleaning and replacing the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The unit contains evaporator or condenser coils that also should be kept clean to ensure it operates properly.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser behind the machine requires adequate airflow to operate. Check that nothing is blocking the airflow, like plants or furniture, and remove them if so.
If you have no experience performing these troubleshooting measures or are uncomfortable doing them yourself, consider hiring an expert to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair contractor near East Haven, Connecticut can determine which one of these issues may be impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty machine, possibly saving you money if the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Does it make financial sense to invest in repairs for a window air conditioner?
Putting in central air will cost thousands of dollars in East Haven, Connecticut and isn't a choice for anyone renting or with a tight budget. The most cost-efficient alternative are window air conditioning machines, but even these generally cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these appliances will be more costly than routine maintenance, making it a worthwhile investment in many circumstances.
Opting to repair current window air conditioners versus replacing them may come down to your long-term goals. If you are planning to put central air in your property, repairing existing window units could be the best short-term solution. But window air conditioners also have advantages over other HVAC systems, such as increased energy efficiency, transportability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Evaluate your needs and goals and compare them to the cost of repair services offered by professionals on Thumbtack to decide if they will be acceptable.
What are some important aspects to evaluate when picking a window air conditioner repair contractor?
It will be a good idea to do your research before picking a window air conditioner repair contractor to ensure you get the most for your money. Regardless if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or a one-time service in East Haven, Connecticut, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of types of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with different systems and features. Always check that the contractor you're vetting has experience working with your specific brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You can verify that the contractor has the proper licenses to conduct repairs in East Haven, Connecticut and any HVAC certifications.
- Guarantees - Your appliance could have a warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the cost of repairs. Hiring a contractor who provides guarantees on their work will bring you added peace of mind.
- Service Schedule - Routine business times aren't always convenient when it comes to cooling and heating your house. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who offer on-call services in case your unit fails over the weekend or holidays.
- References - Most proven repair professionals will provide references from previous customers confirming their skills and professionalism. Look at their online reviews to understand how effectively the contractor provides quality work and customer service.
What issue is typically the most frequent with window air conditioners?
You shouldn't wait until your window air conditioner stops working to find repair services near East Haven, Connecticut. Troubleshoot your unit for any of these common issues to decide if calling in a contractor is warranted:
- Age - The typical window air conditioner can last a decade, though scheduled maintenance can increase its lifespan to 15 years. Consider hiring an expert to perform preventive maintenance if your unit is near its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance issues.
- Odd Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden noises as it powers on, but any loud bangs, pops, or grinding sounds are indicative of a problem.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or musty smells emanating from the window air conditioner as it runs could be a sign it needs to be cleaned and fixed. Wiring issues could result in a fire, while mold could be behind the mildew smell and be a detriment to your health.
- Increased Electric Bills - A damaged window air conditioner could be drawing more electricity than is normal when functioning properly. Hire a professional to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than expected whenever the unit runs.
Find a Pro for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in East Haven, Connecticut With Thumbtack
Dependable window air conditioner repair contractors in East Haven, Connecticut are waiting to be discovered on Thumbtack. Fixing your transportable air conditioning unit can be cost-effective if it's less than ten years old and the repairs don't cost more than buying a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your finances and the comfort of your house by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines designed to be put in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These machines are often used to cool individual rooms or small spaces and are popular for residential and business environments. Much less expensive than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window system can efficiently cool or heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some parts to eventually break down from constant use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a contractor to clean and inspect the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
Regardless if you're looking for regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever issues arise, an expert repair person has the tools and training to do the job quickly. Contractors specializing in AC repair are licensed to work with regulated substances like refrigerant used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also possess the experience repairing the many intricate parts within these units and can even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Factors to look for when choosing a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include professional certification, customer reviews, service hours, and cost. All this valuable information and more is compiled on Thumbtack to let you easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most essential systems.