Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Platteville, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
Is it normal to replenish the refrigerant in window air conditioners?
Your window air conditioner is probably a closed coolant system that shouldn't need recharging with freon anytime during its service life. If it did need to be recharged, it typically means there is a leak within the unit, and you need a professional to handle the repair work. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these recommended troubleshooting steps to help you know if the malfunction is related to depleted freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or underneath the unit and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is usually imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the event of a leak, but a significant one might result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will diminish the unit's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The machine contains evaporator or condenser coils that also need to be cleaned to ensure it functions efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the window air conditioner requires enough airflow to function correctly. Make sure that nothing obstructs circulation, like plants or furniture, and clear them if so.
If you have zero experience carrying out these troubleshooting measures or feel overwhelmed doing them yourself, consider enlisting a contractor to handle the job for you. A window air conditioner repair technician in Platteville, CO can pinpoint which one of these problems is impacting its performance or if escaping freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a defective unit, possibly getting you a refund if it is still under warranty.
Is it worth fixing a window air conditioning unit?
Putting in central air will cost a lot of money around Platteville, CO and isn't an option for those renting or with a tight budget. A cost-effective substitute is window air conditioning machines, but even these will cost hundreds of dollars. Replacing these machines will be more expensive than repairs, making it a smart choice in many circumstances.
Choosing to fix existing window air conditioners rather than replacing them may come down to your long-term plans. If you plan to install a whole-home HVAC system in your residence, repairing existing window units could be a necessary short-term solution. But window units also have advantages over whole-home systems, including energy efficiency, portability, and being able to operate as supplemental cooling or heating with central air. Assess your needs and goals and weigh them against the price of repair services offered by pros on Thumbtack to figure out if they will be acceptable.
What features should I look for when hiring a professional to repair my window air conditioner?
It would be best to do your research before picking a window air conditioner repair professional to ensure you get the most for your money. Whether you're searching for routine maintenance or a one-time repair in Platteville, CO, check for these key factors from the agency or contractor:
- Experience - There are hundreds of makes and models of window air conditioners on the market, and some function with a variety of systems and features. Always check that the professional you're vetting has knowledge of your particular brand of unit before hiring.
- Certification - You should verify that the technician has the proper accreditation to conduct repairs in Platteville, CO and any training certificates.
- Guarantees - Your appliance could be under warranty from the manufacturer, so ask your contractor about including that in the price of the service. Hiring a professional that provides guarantees on their work will give you confidence.
- Service Schedule - Standard business hours aren't always ideal for effectively cooling and heating your house. You may find window air conditioner repair technicians who provide on-call services in the event your machine goes down over the weekend and holidays.
- References - Most proven contractors will show references from previous clients vouching for their skills and services. Look at their online reviews to understand how effectively the technician delivers quality work and customer service.
What problem is commonly reported in relation to window air conditioners?
You don't have to wait until your window air conditioner stops working to look for repair services in Platteville, CO. Evaluate your machine for any of these common problems to know if calling in a pro is warranted:
- Age - The average window air conditioner can last ten years, though regular maintenance can stretch the service life to 15 years. Consider hiring a professional to perform preventive maintenance if your window air conditioner is nearing its manufacturer-rated lifespan, especially if you notice any performance problems.
- Strange Sounds - It's common for a window air conditioner to produce some sudden sounds as it turns on, but any loud screeches, pops, or grinding sounds are concerning.
- Bad Smells - Any burning or moldy smells coming from the window air conditioner as it runs means it needs to be repaired. Wiring problems could result in a fire, while mold may be behind the mildew smell and be a detriment to indoor air quality.
- Increased Electric Bills - A faulty window air conditioner may be using more power than is normal when functioning properly. Hire an expert to repair the unit if you notice your bill going up more than usual whenever your appliance runs.
Hire an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs Near Platteville, CO With Thumbtack
Professional window air conditioner repair contractors in Platteville, CO are waiting to be hired on Thumbtack. Repairing your portable HVAC system can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and any repairs don't cost more than purchasing a new one. With the high price you can expect to pay for a good window air conditioner and the affordable rates offered by repair professionals, you'll be doing many favors for your finances and the comfort of your home by scheduling a service date right away.
Window air conditioners are self-contained cooling machines designed to be installed in a window or a specially designed opening in the wall. These machines are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for home and commercial applications. Much less expensive than installing central air, a window system can efficiently cool and heat a room any season of the year. It's common for some parts to eventually fail from heavy use, though scheduling routine maintenance from a professional to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help keep yours working when it's needed most.
Whether you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs whenever problems come up, an expert repair professional will have the tools and experience to do the job quickly. Contractors providing HVAC repair are certified to work with regulated chemicals like freon used in self-contained cooling systems. A contractor will also have experience repairing the many intricate parts within these units and can even clean them to stretch its service life. Factors to look for when picking a contractor for window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, customer reviews, business hours, and price. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack to help you conveniently and confidently maintain one of your home's most essential systems.