Find Window Air Conditioner Repair in Kersey, Colorado
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER REPAIR
What part of a window air conditioner tends to be the most costly to fix?
The most expensive part to repair on a window air conditioner varies by the specific brand of the unit and the nature of the issue. Examples of the most expensive parts to repair or replace as reported by residents near Kersey, Colorado are:
- Compressor - The compressor is a critical piece that helps circulate refrigerant and increases its energy efficiency.
- Condenser Coil - The condenser coil, located on the outer part of the unit, expels heat accumulated by the evaporator coil to complete the heat cycle.
- Electronic Control Board: This board is responsible for operating various functions of the air conditioner, like the thermostat and fan.
- Motor - A fan motor is typically integrated with several complex components of the unit to help with functions like heat exchange, circulation, condensing, and evaporation.
- Refrigerant Leak Recharge - If there's a refrigerant leak, the price of repairing it and a recharge could add up. Keep in mind that refrigerants are regulated substances needing special certification and tools to handle.
You should note that deciding to fix or replace a window air conditioner will be based on factors such as the age of the unit, the extent of the damage, and cost. If your unit is not beyond its recommended service life, investing in any of these repairs could be more cost-efficient than purchasing a new model.
On average, how often do window air conditioners require repair work?
Hopefully, you purchased a highly-rated window air conditioning unit, which should last about a decade before needing to be replaced. In the meantime, preventive maintenance and repairs are suggested once or twice a year to keep it operating correctly and gives the most extended life possible.
The ideal time to get your window air conditioner serviced in Kersey, Colorado is in the spring before you need it to operate in the summer, and once in the fall before the heating feature is necessary over the winter. Other than repairs, a technician can safely open the unit if necessary to clean its parts before further issues pop up. Cleaning the interior of the unit is the only way to stop mold from developing that could affect your air quality. Any dirt or debris that accumulates inside the unit will also affect its performance if not cleaned.
Window air conditioner repair is relatively affordable and enables you to preserve your investment as long as possible until buying a new one is absolutely necessary. You might be able to get discount prices if you contract a professional for regular repair and cleaning services throughout the year. Compare repair pros on the Thumbtack app and find one matching your budget and schedule.
Should I be worried about the freon levels in my window air conditioner and get a recharge?
Your window air conditioner is likely a closed refrigerant system that doesn't need recharging with freon anytime throughout its lifespan. If it did need to be recharged, it typically means there is a leak in the unit, and you need a professional to handle the repair work. If the unit is not cooling correctly, follow these basic troubleshooting steps to help you know if the problem is related to low freon or something more likely:
- Inspect for Leaks - Look for greasy spots on or beneath the unit and a musty or sweet smell. Freon is often imperceptible to the eyes and nose in the event of a leak, but a major one might result in a detectable residue.
- Clean or Replace Filter - The manufacturer of your specific model provides instructions on how to clean or replace the filter, which, when dirty or clogged, will lower the machine's performance.
- Inspect the Coils - The appliance contains evaporator or condenser coils that also must be kept clean to ensure it operates efficiently.
- Check Ventilation - The condenser outside the machine requires enough airflow to work. Ensure that nothing obstructs circulation, including vegetation or other materials, and clear them if so.
If you have little experience carrying out these troubleshooting tasks or are overwhelmed doing them alone, consider enlisting an expert to do the job for you. A window air conditioner repair expert near Kersey, Colorado will be able to determine which one of these issues is affecting its performance or if leaking freon is indeed the culprit. An experienced contractor can also tell if the leak is the result of a faulty unit, potentially saving you money if it is still under warranty.
Is repairing my window air conditioning unit a worthwhile investment?
Putting in central air will cost thousands of dollars in Kersey, Colorado and isn't an option for people renting or with a tight budget. The most cost-effective substitute is window air conditioning units, but even these generally cost hundreds of dollars. Buying new units will be more costly than routine maintenance, making it a worthwhile choice in many circumstances.
Opting to fix your window air conditioners versus replacing them could come down to your long-term plans. If you are planning to put central air in your property, maintaining curent window units might be a necessary short-term solution. But window units also have advantages over other HVAC systems, like better energy efficiency, portability, and being able to work as supplemental cooling or heating alongside central air. Assess your requirements and goals and weigh them against the cost of repairs offered by contractors on Thumbtack to decide if they will be worthwhile.
Find an Expert for Window Air Conditioner Repairs in Kersey, Colorado With Thumbtack
Dependable window air conditioner repair contractors around Kersey, Colorado are standing by to be found on Thumbtack. Fixing your portable HVAC unit can be cost-efficient if it's no more than ten years old and the repairs don't exceed the cost of purchasing a new model. With the high price you should expect to pay for a quality window air conditioner and the affordable rates provided by repair contractors, you'll be doing a lot of favors for your wallet and the comfort of your home's occupants by scheduling a service date as soon as possible.
Window air conditioners are closed cooling machines designed to be installed in a window or a specially constructed opening in the wall. These machines are often used to cool single rooms or compact spaces and are popular for residential and business settings. Much more affordable than installing whole-home air conditioning, a window system can efficiently cool or heat a room any time of year. It's common for some parts to finally break down from heavy use, though scheduling regular maintenance from a contractor to clean and repair the unit in the spring and fall will help ensure yours stays working when it's needed most.
No matter if you want regularly scheduled maintenance or repairs as issues arise, an expert repair person has the tools and experience to do the task quickly. Contractors offering AC repair are licensed to work with regulated substances like freon used in closed cooling systems. A professional will also possess the experience repairing the many intricate components within these units and can even clean them to prolong their lifespan. Things to look for when selecting a contractor to do your window air conditioner repairs include industry certification, client reviews, service hours, and cost. Similar information and more can be found on Thumbtack so you can easily and reliably maintain one of your home's most critical systems.