Find a HVAC in your area
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ROOFING
What's the approximate time required for constructing a replacement roof?
The timeframe for a replacement by a roofing contractor really depends on the measurements of your roof, however, there are also many other factors to think about. The average roof for a residential property is around 3,000 sq. feet, so normally, a roofer can complete a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you should take into account is the projected weather in your area. Storms will make working conditions terrible and this can really stall the job. If bad weather is expected to happen during your replacement project, you should anticipate your roof taking a few more days to get done.
The layout of your roof is an important factor that you should consider. Its pitch, the number of joints, valleys, and facets will need to be accounted for when your roofer is quoting you on the job. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roofer can estimate a timeline for the job.
What is a good time for booking a roof inspection?
Most roofing contractors recommend twice-yearly inspections for your roof, and the reason why is because routine check-ups have been proven to increase the longevity of your roof. Something to consider is, by not having a roofing inspection done, the warranty on your roof could be waived.
What should I expect to pay a roofing contractor for replacement services?
It’s difficult to know exactly how much a new roof is going to cost you because there are several factors that will establish the total cost. Usually, replacing your roof is in the ballpark of $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of labor and the materials used. The price of your roof replacement will be calculated by the materials you want installed, and you can expect that 60% of the price will be for labor.
Estimating the size of your roof can also be hard if your roof is more complex because you’ll have to factor in various angles. This is where a roofing specialist can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to figure out the square footage of your roof and provide you with an accurate estimate on the price of your roof replacement.
What costs are affiliated with repairing a roof?
When it comes to the condition of your roof, your needs can be classified into two categories: minor maintenance or major repair. A little bit of maintenance can fall anywhere between $150 to $1,500. Many homeowners like to take care of minor stuff on their own, but if you’re not certain of what to do or you’re worried about keeping safe, then you should reach out to a contractor.
Major repairs do require experience and they do cost more. You can expect major roofing repairs to range from $1,500 to $7,000.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Services in Your Area
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home improvement site that helps you find roofing replacement and roofing repair professionals in your area. See what others have to say, talk directly with the roofing repair contractor want to hire, book an appointment, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
Our app also puts together useful data to help you before you start browsing through our database of licensed roofing companies.
Do you need roofing replacement and roofing repair services? Aside from having leaks or other glaring concerns, there are a few things that might determine whether a roof repair is a wise decision.
- Age: In general, 20-25 years is how long a standard roof lasts, so if you know your roof has been around for longer, you may want to contact a roofer to come inspect it.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood used for decking can end up warping or are bending under pressure.
- Granule Buildup in Gutters: When you find an accumulation of granules in your gutters from your shingles, it means that your shingles are wearing down. A roofing maintenance contractor will keep your gutters clean and functioning properly.
- The Chimney Flashing: When the flashing around your chimney is tar you may need to replace it with a water-tight fitting which includes a metal flashing system.
- Missing or damaged shingles: When you see shingles that are cracked, curled, or completely missing, this can be an indicator that your roof needs attention. A roof inspection will identify worn-out shingles and provide timely repairs to prevent leaks from doing more damage.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you a hassle-free option to hire the right companies to address your roofing needs. Whether you need to hire a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your job is made easier with our platform.